30. Caught

"We have a new-hire starting next week and my supervisor asked me to train him. I'm flattered that he chose me, of all people, but then again I'm sad about it because it means more work for me," my mom blabbered on.

Ever since Liz took on a second job, my mom and Liz talk even less which means all her rants are directed towards me and Ryan. Poor Ryan is probably asking why me? Ryan and I nodded at what my mom was saying but neither of us were really listening. We were trying to eat fast to maximize the little time we had left with Amy and Van.

Ryan's lucky he can see Amy and Van all weekend but I didn't have that privilege. I was starting to wonder if Van would try to initiate our talk tonight or if he'll save it for next week.

I quickly shoved pasta in my mouth and drank water to help. I could see Ryan doing the same on his side.

"Wow, you guys are really hungry today," my mom commented. "Enough about my work, how was school Ryan?"

"It was good," Ryan answered. "Next week will be busy though. I have two quizzes next week. One for math and one for biology."

"Looks like you need to get studying then."

"Yup, that's what I plan to do this weekend."

"What about you, Jess? How was your day today?" mom asked, turning to me.

"It was good. I visited grandma this morning. She's slowly opening up to me and she still calls me her friend but I still need to keep my distance," I answered. My mom was smiling.

"Good to hear," mom commented. "How's studying for the MCAT?"

"It's been going well. I got a load of studying done this week. I'm officially done with chemistry and am now on math."

"That's great!"

Ryan abruptly got up from the table with his empty plate.

"Do you want more?" my mom asked.

"No I'm full but thanks!" Ryan replied, walking over to the sink. He began washing the dishes which he normally doesn't do. Before I could open my mouth, my mom jumped in.

"Ryan, there's no need to wash the dishes. Jess will wash them," she explained.

"S'alright, it's the least I can do," Ryan said, continuing to wash the dishes. It was painfully obvious he was washing them to get out of here faster. I was unfortunately still scarfing down my food.

"Well thank you Ryan. We appreciate you helping out," my mom commended.

As soon as I finished, I went over to help Ryan rinse the dishes. We tag-teamed to get all the chores done quickly and before we knew it, we were headed back to the Fuller's house by 6:45 PM to my mom's confusion.

When we came back, the house was surprisingly empty. I figured Amy and Van went back to eat dinner as well. Ryan put his mom's food on the kitchen counter to cool down and looked at me.

"Do you think we should head over or wait for them to come back?" he asked.

"We can wait," I said, turning on the TV and plopping down onto the couch.

"Okay, I'll head upstairs to finish my homework."

I nodded and Ryan left to go upstairs. I found myself watching the evening news. The weatherman was talking about how it was going to be rainy this weekend and cloudy all next week with scattered showers.

"Well there goes my plans to go to the park this weekend," I heard Van say. I jumped at his voice and turned to see him at the railing. "Jumpy today, aren't ya?" he asked, grinning.