33. Halloween (Part 2)

The door was open as we crossed over. Light flooded the hallway and we could hear Amy and Van talking.

"You got some of it in my eye!" Van complained.

"I'm almost done. If you stayed still in the first place this wouldn't have happened," Amy spoke. You could tell she was frustrated.

"We're here!" Ryan called out.

Amy peeked into the hallway from the bathroom.

"Wow, you guys look amazing! I'm just finishing up Van's face," Amy explained. What is she doing to Van's face? The answer was staring at us when Ryan and I walked into the bathroom.

Van was dressed as the Joker from The Dark Night. He wore a purple dress shirt with a dark green vest over it and dark purple dress pants. His face was painted white and his lips were red, with the red extending out to his cheeks. His eyes were dark and you could see Amy was still finishing up his eyes. His hair was wild but it worked well.

I didn't notice my mouth was open as I stared at him but luckily my mouth was covered. I had to admit he looked good dressed as the Joker. I was thinking he'd choose a typical costume so I was surprised at his choice. Van was staring at me as well. His eyes never left mine as Amy put the finishing touches to his makeup.

"I'm done now," Amy finally said. "How does he look?"

"Amazing!" Ryan said excitedly. "Looks like he just came out of the movie." I was still speechless so I just nodded.

Amy's hair was in braids and she had on a cute black dress with a white collar and black leggings. She looked exactly like Wednesday Addams. All she needed was a scowl on her face because she looked too friendly.

Amy put away the makeup and Van jumped off the counter, buttoning his sleeves.

"You look amazing, Jess," Van said, moving closer to me. "When you said 'assassin' I was thinking a ninja or somethin', but this—this is so much better! Y'know, if my assassin looked like you, I honestly wouldn't mind." I could feel my cheeks getting hot. I found it attractive how Van had no problem saying what was on his mind. I wish I had his confidence because I want to say the same for him but can't bring myself to say it.

"Get a room, you two," Amy said sternly and Ryan laughed.

We walked out of the bathroom and down the stairs.

"Have you two eaten yet?" I asked.

"Not yet but we'll eat over there. We've been snacking all day so we're not starving," Amy answered.

"Oh, before I forget, I brought you two candy. I need to make it look like we had trick-or-treaters," I explained, handing my bag to Amy.

Amy took it and set it on the table. "Thanks Jess! Alright, let's go! Catfish and the Bottlemen aren't scheduled to play until 8 PM but let's walk around."

Amy and Van grabbed their coats and put on their shoes before stepping out the door. I was in awe of the neighborhood. It did look like Halloween straight out of a movie. But the cute kind of Halloween not the creepy one. All the houses were decorated. Carved pumpkins were lit on porches and stairways, some houses had cobwebs, and skeletons were hung on display. I had to pull my cloak close to my body in fear of it catching on fire as we stepped off the porch.

There were no trick-or-treaters around but everyone was dressed in costume. I could see people dressed as far as the eye could see. Some people were vampires, bank robbers, witches, and so on. Everyone was making their way to the park. I reached out to grab Van's hand and he looked at me, smiling.