28. Finding Adam

*Amy's POV*

I was slowly going insane being cooped up in the house all day. I was hiding in fear of seeing Adam in the park, the grocery store—anywhere. I had to admit I was jealous of Van. He was free to go wherever he wanted because he hadn't met Adam yet.

After a few days of looking over our shoulders and out of windows, it's safe to say that Adam isn't casing the house. He hasn't been seen anywhere but we honestly weren't trying that hard. Van would head to the park, the store, and out in the streets regularly but he has yet to find Adam. The only person he's been able to find was Natalie to his displeasure but to Natalie's pleasure. She was enjoying seeing Van more frequently and would stop him to strike a conversation. According to their conversations, she hasn't seen Adam around much either. So where could he be and what is he up to?

Van would also spend time at Bondy's with the band practicing songs and writing music. Bondy hasn't mentioned seeing Adam either and the other boys had no idea who he was. Van and I were starting to think we imagined him but every time we did so, the letter was a reminder of his existence. Perhaps he was at home, scared and lonely. Perhaps he, too, thought he had imagined Jess.

The days were passing by and Van and I were just wasting them one by one, not really wanting to talk about or deal with Adam...until now. When I've had enough of laying around at home.

"Van, I'm tired of hiding. I'm going to find Adam and talk to him," I finally said one day. Van stopped eating to stare at me.

"What are you going to say?" he asked.

"I'm going to tell him I haven't seen her around. I don't know where she could've went."

"And what are you going to say if he mentions me? Since we're together and all, that I might know where she is?"

I sighed. I still haven't figured that part out yet. "I don't know...maybe say you haven't seen or heard from her either and that you're worried?"

Van frowned. "I don't really like that idea but it could work. But next time, let me know in advance so I can start playing the part and asking people if they've seen her."

The whole idea sounded ridiculous but it was something, and something was better than nothing. "Just say you haven't seen nor heard from her for a few days but you thought she'd show up. And now it's been a couple days and she hasn't and now you're worried. I'll give you one more day, then that's it. I'm leaving this house to find Adam. And of course I'll ask what questions he has and explain them all to him so he has no more questions to ask."

The corner of Van's mouth turned up into a smile.

"What's so funny?" I asked.

"Nah, it's nothing," he quickly replied.

"Just tell me, Van."

"I was just thinking that if we go through with this, it makes me sound like I'm the one behind Jess's disappearance."

"What do you mean?"

"Like here I am going about my business as usual, and then all of a sudden I'm asking if anyone has seen my girlfriend. Don't you think people will get suspicious and start wondering why I wasn't moping around earlier? I mean I was literally laughing and having fun with the band earlier today. They'll probably think I'm insane and that I killed her or something."

I began to laugh. It does sound silly, doesn't it? "Geez Van, I didn't know you were capable of murder. It would be a first here. We're already dead. Who knew we could die again?" We both burst out laughing but the laughter quickly died down.

"Okay...so how about we say that you and Jess broke up and you haven't seen her since? She just got up and left?" I proposed.

Van nodded his head. "Sounds a lot better than murdering Jess," Van commented.