Chapter 61 - An Odd Sight

James had requested that I keep on the work detail for the next week and so I did. 

I moved sandbags, I carried bricks, I was building Deluca for the man who'd beaten me into an overnight stay at the infirmary. 

But at the same time as James' people were watching me, everyone else was too. It wasn't just the guards, it was the people carrying bricks and sandbags with me. 

I'd been working for a few days and I hadn't been working with the same people. The shifts were constantly changing, the only person I saw every day was Henry. I never changed shifts and neither did he and every day he would put me in charge of a group. 

Maybe they knew... Maybe they could tell that I wasn't just carrying bricks while I was on the site. I was watching, observing, and getting ready. 

I was going to get out of here.

Ahri had been gone for five days. I had no idea what James had done to her or if she could even be alive. Even if he'd sent her out there alive, could she have survived the past week?

Ahri was strong, she could protect herself but it was a dangerous world. 

I'd been in here for too long but I had to make the perfect escape. I couldn't risk messing it up. Henry would have to trust me for my plan to work. 

So I worked, hard and well. I doubled my tasks when I could and I always got the job done. 

I had to get myself out to get everyone else out too. Then we'd have to find Ahri. 

Today was the day I'd pull my plan off. Today I was going to get out. 

"Carson," The guard called out.

"Here."

He marked it off on his clipboard and kept going.

"Krista,"

"Here."

"Frankie,"

I paused and looked around the room. As I found her in the crowd, she responded. 

"Here."

One of them had finally been put on my shift. Frankie and I would escape today. 

I wouldn't have to do it alone, it would either be a lot easier or a lot harder with Frankie. But things weren't going to change. She and I would get out today.

The guard called a few more names before he got to me. 

"Sasha,"

I'd gotten used to hearing my name again, it finally felt like me.

"Here."

When Henry finally ordered us to the construction site, I surfed through the crowd the find Frankie. I didn't want it to look like I was searching for someone but I had to find her. 

I finally saw her and as I made my way over there, she saw me too. We met halfway and kept moving with the crowd.

"Stay quiet, move fast," I whispered and she nodded.

"I have a plan to get us out of here. Just stay close, but not too close."

She nodded again and stayed quiet.

We got into the construction site they ordered us into ranks. Frankie and I stood next to each other. When Henry came around, he put me in charge of my rank. Today he also added a "Good morning Sasha. Glad to see you're still working on my shift."

I just nodded back and he continued to go around the groups. 

We were moving boards today. My group had to carry boards from one pile to all the other groups.