Chapter 36 - Leaving with a Leader

"I can't believe we're going out on foot," Frankie says as she helps Ahren get his backpack on. 

"I'm sure we'll find something along the way," Jasper tells her while handing his backpack to me and I swiftly help him get it on.

They were leaving. I still couldn't decide if this was a good idea or a bad one. We had no idea how long they'd be gone for or if they'd even find anything while they were gone.

"Are you sure you want me to go?" Jasper asks as he takes hold of my hands.

I nod despite the screams in my mind telling me to say no. "As I said, I'll feel better with you and Ahren together." 

Though that was true, I still badly wanted him to stay with me. I told myself it'd be for the better, I truly did feel good knowing that he and Ahren would have each other's backs out there.

It had been a while since we'd been on the road, but supply runs and safety checks kept us on our toes...

"I'll be back before you know it," Jasper says before lifting my hands up and kissing them.

I nod. "I'll be right here."

Ahren comes over to me as Jasper moves towards the rest of the group leaving.

"I'll bring him back in at least two pieces." Ahren 'assures' me.

I scowl at him and Jasper shouts from behind. "Not funny dude."

Ahren just laughs. "Don't worry, we'll be okay. Like you said, we're out there with each other."

I nod, smiling lightly. "I hope you guys find something... Try to be back soon."

He nods back. "Give us a couple of days or so. I'm not coming back empty-handed."

"Good. I'll keep things up here."

"I know you will."

I knew Ahren wouldn't come back without anything. But that made me nervous. How long would it take them to find something? Two days? Four days? A week? Three weeks? A whole month?

We had no idea. 

We wouldn't know anything until we saw them again. But we also didn't know if we'd see them again.

I pushed that thought to the back of my mind as I hugged Ahren. "Stay safe."

He nods against my shoulder. "We will."

Ahren pulls away and joins the rest of his group.

"You guys ready?" He says, looking around at them.

They all nod and start heading out of the shutters. Jasper glances over his shoulder at me. I muster up as much of a smile as I can watching him leave the station. 

The farther out he gets, the darker our spark becomes.

I retreat into the station in hopes of distracting myself. 

Ahri walks beside me. "I think Luna's upset about her brother." 

"Me too. I think I'm gonna try to talk to her..." 

"I'm gonna go talk to the travelers."

I nod. "Good idea."

She leaves my side and I make my way towards the room we'd set Luna up in.

The doorway is open when I get there. I slowly walk in, not sure what to expect. There she is, sitting on her cot with her knees to her chest. Her arms are wrapped around her legs as she rests her chin on her knees.

Her disposition quickly changes as she sees me. 

"Oh uh, hi Sasha..." Luna says as she sets her feet on the ground, not meeting my gaze. 

I smile. "Hey, Luna."

"Did you need something?" She asks.

I shake my head. "Just wanted to make sure you're alright."

She nods. "Why wouldn't I be?" Her eyes still don't meet mine.

I sigh, sitting on the foot end of her cot. "Because your brother left and I've hardly seen you two apart all the time you've been here."

She sighs heavily. "I almost lost him once. After that I promised myself I'd keep him safe but now he's got a reason to go off without me. I don't blame him at all, but I'm worried."

"Of course you are, we all are. It's not easy watching them go."

"I wish I knew that I'd see him again." She finally meets my eyes. 

"Ahren won't let anything happen to any of them."

"How do you know that?"

How did I know that? I'd been with Ahren since the beginning and I was still here. But not everybody was... Ahren is a leader, and a smart one too. He knows how to make it out there and he wanted to go out. I trusted Ahren with Jasper and Jasper with Ahren. 

"I knew Ahren before all of this. When people are put into this world, they either rise or they fall. Ahren has seen and done a lot to protect me, Ahri, this whole place. He's a leader, a smart one. I sent Jasper out there so they'd have each other's backs. Ahren will do everything he can to keep them alive."

"Do you think they'll come back with something?"

I chuckle a little. "I don't think Ahren will turn around until they've got something to come home with."

Luna stays quiet.

"Do you wanna walk my rounds with me?"

She nods. "A distraction might be nice."

I smile and we both get up, leaving her room.

"Do you think they'll be back soon?"

I shrug. "I hope they are."

Despite my hopes, I had a feeling it'd be quite the opposite... Little did I know what to expect.