Chapter Seventy Two

It's not fair.

"These things happen Mrs. Raizada... it isn't always understood why."

It just isn't fair.

Getting a reaction out of me was hard. Getting me to do anything at this point was difficult for anyone. I just sat still, unfazed as the family surrounded me, Amma holding one hand and crying, Nani holding the other, her tears streaming as well. I only looked forward, noting my husband who sat in a chair across from my hospital bed, looking at me. Di was by his side, holding onto him, but Arnav's eyes were fixed on me, his eyes showing the same emotions I felt.

This just wasn't fair.

Dad stood by the door with his arms crossed. His eyes looked like as if he could kill, and I knew exactly who he had in mind.

The door opened, revealing one of Raghav's men. He whispered something to him and I saw dad's eyes slightly widen before they grew stern, his jaw clenching. With a nod, he dismissed the man, and he left. Dad then turned to me and walked over to me. Everyone looked up at him, but I continued to look forward.

"Bunny," he began softly, sitting down beside me on the bed. "There's something that I have to deal with."

Something in his tone was off, which made me curious. Caressing my cheek, he placed a kiss on my forehead, before pulling back to leave.

"Dad."

I could feel everyone's shock. I hadn't spoken a word since I had been told about my miscarriage. I felt everyone's eyes on me, but I finally turned my gaze away and looked at Raghav.

"Something or someone," I asked.

Dad only looked at me, and it was enough to understand. From the corner of my eyes, I saw Arnav clench his jaw.

"I have to deal with this alone," Dad finally said.

I glanced at Arnav, who looked at me, before looking back at Dad. "I know."

Raghav nodded, looking down at the ground.

"Daddy?"

Raghav looked back up at me and I noticed Babuji shift slightly besides Amma in his seat.

"Yes bunny?"

"Stay strong."

Raghav was trying hard not to let tears come to his eyes, that much was obvious. He came back to me and hugged me, placing a kiss on the top of my head.

"I will, bunny... I will." He pulled back and looked at me. "Just like you will stay strong, so will I."

I placed my hands in his and squeezed them, and he squeezed mine back before letting go. He turned to leave once more, but paused, looking at Arnav.

"Take care of her Arnav. Let me know if you need anything or if anything happens."

Arnav nodded and Raghav left. Once he did, Arnav looked at me and I looked at him.

Both of us could only wonder what was going to happen.

*~*

Some time later, the doctor had asked most of the family to leave, as only a limited amount of people were allowed to stay at a time. Arnav hardly left my side, nor did Amma. Buaji and Payal stuck around, as well as Di. Mai and Mami would alternate, Nani coming in now and then. Based on what everyone was saying, it was clear that no one had gone home and were sitting out in the halls. 

But honestly, I just wanted to be alone.

A nurse came in with dinner, and I really didn't want it. Amma tried and insisted on me eating, but I only turned away.

"Khushi, please, you need to eat," Amma pleaded.

But I remained on my side, facing my back to her.

Arnav got up and stepped around to her. "I'll feed her, Amma."

I guess Arnav was able to convince her, because I heard her get up and leave the room. The others had stepped out for a while now, leaving just the 3 of us in the room. Now it was only Arnav and I, finally, after everything.

"Baby..."

I pursed my lips as the tears emerged once more. I clenched my eyes shut, trying hard not to cry, but it was just to hard. As soon as the tears were ready to escape, I felt Arnav get in bed besides me and he pulled me to his chest, holding me securely as I sobbed and felt his tears dampen my neck.

"Why did this have to happen to us, Arnav, why," I sobbed.

Arnav didn't respond, only holding me.

"It just isn't fair, Arnav, it just isn't fair at all! Why does she get to have a baby but I can't, it's just not fair!"

"Hush, babe," he soothed, holding me securely. "We'll get through this baby, we will."

"It just isn't fair," I sniffled. "She doesn't even deserve it, she doesn't even want it, she's only using it for her advantage! She didn't want me the first time around and now-"

My words got caught in my throat and the tears flowed once more.

"Don't think about her, Khushi," Arnav said softly. "She doesn't matter, nothing about her matters."

I turned in his hold and looked up at his tear-stained face. "How can I not think about her Arnav? How can I not? None of this is fair!"

"Khushi-"

"She didn't want me all those years ago, she didn't want a baby, she never wanted a child. She just gave me away without a care and lived her life. Now, she's pregnant again with my younger sibling! And she doesn't care for it! She's only using it for her own benefits! Why is it bad people always get things, but good people can never have what they want?"

"I don't know baby, I really wish I knew but...."

"It just isn't fair," I nearly whispered.

Arnav pulled me into him and I buried my face in his neck, crying once more.

"You're right Khushi," he said softly. "It isn't fair.... But we will get through this baby, I promise."

"I absolutely hate her, Arnav," I muttered into him.

"So do I Khushi... so do I."