Chapter 1

"FIRE!" I heard the screams of many of the people that worked with my parents yell running by me. My small four year old body was knocked down by the frantic body's of the distressed workers.

"Charlotte! Were are you?" I heard my mother and fathers voices echo down the hall but a cry that sounded like my mother made me bolt as fast as my short legs would let me go.

"Mommy! Daddy!" Tears ran down my face as I whipped my head around looking for them. Cutting around a corner I found them laying in a clump on the ground. Pieces of the ceiling lay on them as they looked to be asleep. "Momma," I whispered trying to push some of the wood off of her. I did nothing as I laid next to her body and my fathers. Cries left my lips as I whimpered every time something would fall near me. "Mommy, Daddy! Please wake up!" I yelled in fear when the building started to shake. A shadow castes over me making me look up into the eyes of a dark figure. "Please don't hurt me," I squeaked out in fear.

"No one here is gunna hurt you. Now we have to get out of here. If you take my hand we can get out real quick." Standing on shaky legs I wobbled to him whimpering when a piece of ceiling feel to close. My hand quickly found his as he started to hustle us out of the building.

"What about mommy and daddy," I whispered when he picked me up to go faster. "Their dead aren't they," they had told me what being dead was, it meant that you wouldn't wake up anymore. It meant that who ever it was, was now up in heaven and to not be scared. But I was scared and alone.

"Yes," with that my cries began. Nestling my head in the croak of his neck I sobbed. A blast of fresh air his the side of my face as the stranger carried me out of the building. Some people seem to be yelling outside the building but he ignored them as he set me down checking me for injury. Finally looking up at him I realized who he was. Batman. Daddy had told me about him, he said one day I could be a superhero too. That's what he said every time they ran tests on me. Always saying things about a canary, I never knew why that meant.

"What's your name," batman said softly as he knelt in front of me.

"Charlotte,"

"Do you know who I am," my only answer was a nod.

"Do you have anyone else you can go to?" I shook my head again and started to cry again.

"No," I said looking at the ground my voice barely there. "I don't have anyone,"

He looked like he was going to say something but a police man interrupted him. "Excuse me but we will take her from here,"

"Her parents were in the building there dead." The dark night said bluntly to the cop. "What are you planing on doing"

"We will find her some family to stay with and if not then foster care,"

"I don't have any family," i whispered looking up at him with watery eyes.

"We will find a place for you but for now you need to come with me." The police man said motioning for me to come to him.

I began to shake my head no."I want to stay with you, please." I said looking up at the man who had saved me. He was my hope at the moment and he made me feel safe.

He lent down to whispered to me. " if you go with him now I'll come and get you later I promise but you have to trust me."

"I don't want to go." I said wrapping my arms around his neck surprising him but he returned it nonetheless. " it's ok I promise I'll come for you. Ok?"

"Ok" I finally spoke. "But you have to pink swear." I said determinedly. If he pinky swore then he was for real, no one broke a pinky swear. No one.

Surprising everyone watching there exchange he smiled and stuck his larger pinky out which I wrapped my much smaller one around his.

"Pinky swear."

"Pinky swear"

The cop coughed awkwardly which drew there attention to him. " we should get going..."

I nodded and detached myself from batman and began to walk towards the cop. I made my way to him and took his hand turning and waving at the caped crusader who waved back as I got in the car and drove away. Looking out the back window I watched as he got smaller and smaller as we drove away. Placing my hand on the cold window I sent a little prayer to my mommy and daddy that they would let this happen. The police man who I learned was name Jim drove me to a house that had a nice lady at the door. They put me in a room with a few other girls who were already asleep. Claiming a bed I laid down in my new clothes that they had gotten me after washing me up.

Clutching my locket in my small hands I cried softly into my pillow. I was all alone now, no mommy, no daddy.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soooooo how'd y'all like it? I'm hoping to get lots of comments on this so that I can get feed back!

Please tell me what yall want to see in this book from Charlie's child hood!

Any thing that you've every questioned or needed answers to.

Just a funny moment you want to see!

Anything.

-so the goal for another free chapter is 15 votes-

-also 7 comment-

If not I will update about every 5 days! Get to the goal and I will give you the free chapter right then and there!