Part 8 - Death

Today was the day that they would return to their own realm. He was preparing to go, when San came in dragging a confused Wooyoung behind him.

        "San, we can't bring Wooyoung." Seonghwa stated, knowing that San was aware of this fact.

        "Trust me, I have an idea! That one divine servant was kicked out a year ago, remember?" San said, a mischievous grin on his face as if he had concocted the perfect plan.

        "We can bring Wooyoung to take his place! Since it's me, no one will question it. And Woo won't grow old either!" The sun god exclaimed happily. It was actually a pretty decent plan.

        "What do you think, Wooyoung? Will you be able to handle leaving everyone behind in death?" Seonghwa asked the blonde male. Wooyoung smiled a bit sadly.

        "I'll come visit with Sannie. As long as I'm with him, and everyone here is happy, I'm happy." Wooyoung stated. Seonghwa nodded.

        "Well then, that's that i suppose. Shall we get going?" Seonghwa nodded to the others. San and Wooyoung intertwined their fingers. Suddenly, the door to the room opened and in stepped Mingi and Yunho holding hands, and Jongho leading Yeosang in who was wearing a pout of some sort on his face.

    "We'll miss you!" Mingi said, engulfing Woosan into a hug. Seonghwa would miss them all, Mingi's surprisingly soft side, Jongho's babyness, Yeosang's sarcasm, and Yunho's bear hugs. Which speaking of, Seonghwa was getting right at that moment.

        But the one he would miss the most, Seonghwa noticed wasn't there. But what could he do? He would definitely come visit, definitely.

    Seonghwa had left Hongjoong telling him he was returning to his own realm the next morning. Hongjoong smiled sadly and wished him a safe trip. Seonghwa promised that he'd return whenever he could, and Hongjoong had said that he'd wait for him.

    Saying their final goodbyes,-- Wooyoung was sobbing-- the trio departed to their realm.

    "You're going to keep coming back won't you Seonghwa? Wooyoung and I will. Come with me this time." San suggested. Seonghwa told him that he had already planned on it.

    And he did exactly that. He, San and Wooyoung visited whenever they could. Hongjoong and Seonghwa had gotten so much closer, and Hongjoong had even befriended the others while they were gone one day.

    Jongho and Yeosang had gotten together, and so had Mingi and Yunho.

    Everything was perfect.

    But, of course, nothing lasts forever.

    Aurora had gotten sick, and Hongjoong was spending all his time tending to her. San could only heal wounds, and energy being transferred wouldn't help either.

    But of course, Hongjoong was determined, and eventually the little girl recovered. But Hongjoong had been exposed far too much, and it turns out his health was much more frail than Seonghwa had thought.

    "How is he?" Seonghwa asked Yeosang as the priest exited the room where Hongjoong was being kept as a patient, unable to eat, drink or do anything without assistance.

    "I'm not sure. I don't even know what he has. It seems to be a mutated version of what his sister had. It's so much worse." Yeosang said sadly. Everyone had been around to comfort Aurora and Seonghwa while this happened. The little girl was staying with Chan and Woojin, who had gladly taken her in. Felix and Hyunjin had been there with Seonghwa as well.

    "Do you... do you think he'll recover?" Felix asked quietly. Yeosang's gaze dropped to the floor signaling he didn't have an answer.

    "I sense death." Seonghwa admitted, the black cloud was certainly there, and he knew it would descend soon.

    Suddenly, a fit of coughing started in the next room.

    "Yeosang! We need you in here, now!" Yunho's voice sounded from the room. Yeosang rushed in, Seonghwa right behind him.

    "Hongjoong! Are you okay?" Seonghwa said, running to kneel down beside the boy. Hongjoong was deathly pale, and his lips had lost all color, besides the slight bit of blood that had been caused by his coughing.

    "H-Hwa...S-Seonghwa..." Hongjoong was struggling to speak. He was extremely weak. Seonghwa felt tears prick in the corners of his eyes, seeing the boy like this.

    "Hongjoong you are going to be alright. You will. I--"

    "Don't... p-promise any...thing." Hongjoong cut him off. Hongjoong knew he wasn't going to be alright, and he didn't want Seonghwa to make a promise he couldn't keep.

    Hongjoong turned his palm to face upwards and slowly reached up to run his cold fingers down Seonghwa's face. Yeosang and Yunho left the room, giving them some space.

    The dark cloud was almost suffocating now, and Seonghwa knew Hongjoong didn't have much time left.

    He was going to die.

    And Seonghwa, even with all of his power wouldn't be able to save him.

    "Seonghwa, is... my s-sister okay?" Hongjoong asked him, his voice growing weaker. Seonghwa gently took Hongjoong's hand as he nodded.

    "That-that's good." He said, closing his eyes and smiling softly.

    "How about you, Hongjoong?" Seonghwa asked him.

    "I don't think a-anyone is ever... r-really prepared to d-die." Hongjoong replied, his breathing becoming more labored and difficult. Seonghwa squeezed his hand, trying not to cry. He wouldn't cry because Hongjoong didn't need to feel bad any more than he already did.

"But...I'm h-happy. B-because I... m-met you." Hongjoong smiled with whatever strength he could muster.

"S-Seonghwa, do m-me a f-favor." He stuttered in between labored breathing.

"Anything." Seonghwa said, and he meant it. At this point, if hongjoong had told him to somehow find a way to join him in the afterlife, he would.

"Can you k-kiss me please?" Hongjoong said, trying to make his voice more stable.

"That's your last request?" Seonghwa chucked sadly.

"Might as well enjoy my last moments." Hongjoong told him. His voice didn't shake.

Seonghwa leaned over the boy to press their lips together gently. Hongjoong's hand tightened around Seonghwa's.

"I-I love y-you." Hongjoong whispered to Seonghwa.

"Me too. Hongjoong, you idiot. How'd you make me fall so hard for you?" Seonghwa laughed, and his vision was blurring again from tears that he wouldn't let fall.

"Thank you." Hongjoong said softly, and Seonghwa felt his hand fall limp in his own.

"Hongjoong? Hongjoong!" Seonghwa called out to him, shaking his arm as the boy just lay there, his eyes closed and his lips curled into a slight smile. He looked so peaceful.

"Yeosang!" Seonghwa yelled for the priest as he grew frantic. He felt the tears finally cascade down his cheeks as he held the back of Hongjoong's cold hand to his forehead.

Hongjoong was dead.

"We will find eachother again. If I have to crawl down to hell and pull you out I will." Seonghwa promised the boy who he knew couldn't hear him. He felt a hand on his shoulder, San. He was trembling, no doubt crying as well.

Goodbye, Hongjoong. My love.