Four

Sirens approached from a distance not too far from us and that caused Bradley to throw me away from his car and into the ground, causing me to scrape my palms against the rough street.

I hissed as my hands stung but yelled out when a rough hand gripped my hair bringing me close to his lips which brushed against my ear.

"This isn't over by a long shot Emmy"

"You said that before"

I spit at him which made his expression really scary I almost crawled away from him.

I saw him bring his free hand back, form a fist and punch me right in the face.

I cried out as I crashed into the cracked street and I heard his footsteps moving away from me quickly.

"I will come back for you. I still love you"

He climbed in his car after blowing me a kiss then sped off just as the police car pulled up next to my aching body.

"Are you alright ma'am?!"

"Go after him!"

I pointed in the way he drove off and they hesitated at first but ended up speeding away after him anyways.

I heard another car pull up but I was too defeated and tired to look up.

"Emerald.."

I squeezed my eyes trying to prevent the tears from spilling.

I'm so much stronger than this.

Everything was just coming at me all at once and it was so overwhelming.

I felt his hands wrap around my upper arms and he gently pulled me up.

It was in that moment I realized he wore rings.

They were warm against my freezing, aggravated skin.

I kept my eyes closed only to hear him sigh.

"Look at me. Please."

I slowly opened my eyes and his forest green ones held regret and anger.

"I should've made sure you were okay. I knew that son of a bîtch would try something. I was just-"

"Acting like a jealous idiot? Yeah. You were"

"I wouldn't go that far..."

I rolled my eyes and pushed his hands away from me.

"I appreciate you getting what I was trying to do and coming for me. But I'm tired so if you'll excuse me sir, I'll see you tomorrow morning"

"Emerald.."

"No. Please don't make this harder than it needs to be"

I waved my hand at him telling him to back off but he gripped my wrist and pulled me close again.

"You're hurt"

He stared at the palm of the hand that was in his then up at my face.

He pushed the loose strands out of my face, furrowing his brows as he tried to get a good look at the mark beginning to form on my left cheek.

"He bloody hit you?!"

I moved my head away from his gaze and yanked my hand out of his grasp to create some distance.

"Thank you for clarifying the obvious sir. If I may, can I go home now to take care of myself? Or will I be fired if I don't do what you want?"

"Oh cut the shît Emerald. Your feelings got hurt, boo hoo. Stop acting childish and let me help you"