Smiling, Carson looked up, but then did a double take when he noticed Madison. His smile slowly faded and his eyebrows furrowed together.

“This is Madison. She’s my new assistant.”

Madison’s expression was pained as she forced her lips to curve into a small smile as their gaze focused on her. Several snorted at her attempt, but she ignored it and kept on smiling.

Mr. Perez continued, “She’ll be helping me record all your times. So when you finish today’s run, you’ll come over to her and tell her your time.” After that, he went on to tell them about the route they would take and everyone forgot about her.

Well, almost everyone.

Carson didn’t glance away. He kept staring at her, his hazel eyes quietly appraising while he wore an inscrutable look. She gave him a smile—a genuine one this time—hoping to break through his impenetrable walls, but his expression didn’t change. Discouraged, she dropped her head and stared at her shoes.

Before she knew it, Mr. Perez blew his whistle and the runners were off. He told her to take a seat and work on her homework while she waited for them. Time passed slowly and it was nearing forty-five minutes before the first runners started trickling in. Dutifully, she wrote down the times.

When Carson came to her, she forced herself to act calm and composed even though her pulse was racing. Just the sound of his voice was enough to shatter the façade, but she quickly blinked and re-grouped. After she wrote his time, he looked like he was going to say something, but before he could he was pushed aside by Lauren. 

“You’re holding up the line,” she teased.

“Uh, yeah, sorry.” He shot Madison an apologetic look before moving away.

Madison wasn’t proud of the names she called Lauren in her head, but good Lord! The girl was everywhere! All week long, she watched as Lauren hung around Carson. Talking. Laughing. Flirting. It was enough to make a girl crazy with jealousy!

Gritting her teeth, she recorded Lauren’s time, pressing so hard on the pen that it tore through the paper. She was thankful when the girl was whisked away by a friend. She was afraid if she had to spend more than two seconds in her presence she would start yelling.

It wasn’t until she recorded the last runner’s time that Carson approached. He stopped a couple feet away from her, putting plenty of distance between them. His stance stiff, he rubbed the back of his neck and said, “Hey Maddy.”

The banal comment seemed so out of place considering everything they’d been through. But she guessed that’s how their worked relationship now—trite pleasantries and awkward looks.  

He looked over his shoulder to where his friends were congregated. “Some of us are going to get pizza. Do you want to come?”

Sadly, she shook her head. “I’m pretty much grounded till eternity. Not much social interactions for me except school and community service.”