Chapter 4-A

The next day Madison stood in front of Wyatt’s house and rang the doorbell. Avery invited her after receiving Madison’s text. She was a little nervous about the whole thing. Avery insisted they were just going to hang out, but who knew what that really meant. With this group, it could be anything.

Wyatt opened the door and gave her a stiff smile. It wasn’t mean or unfriendly, but it wasn’t exactly welcoming either. Wary, she followed him in. As they walked farther into the house, she noted the dated furniture and cheap looking appliances. It was obvious his family didn’t have a lot of money. His house was located in the older section of town—the neighborhood run-down and the streets full of potholes. Regardless, the house was clean and taken care of. Not a spec of dirt anywhere.

Wyatt opened a screen door at the back of the house, which led into a spacious porch. It was enclosed with panels of screen giving the impression it was another room. Couches and armchairs were strategically placed around a long coffee table. 

“You made it,” Avery exclaimed from one of the couches. She scooted over and patted the brown fabric next to her. Madison wove through the furniture, giving Kelly and Garrett a small “hey” as she passed them. “I’m so glad you decided to join us. I thought for sure you weren’t going to change your mind. You seemed so resolute,” Avery confessed.

“That’s because I was.”

“So what happened?” Kelly asked.

“Yah, why the sudden turnaround?” Wyatt wondered, a hard edge to his voice. He sat down in the armchair directly across from her.

“Decided I needed a change of pace and here I am.”

He cocked his head to the side. “Are you normally so flippant about things?”

She arched an eyebrow. “If I am?”

“Your attitude is dangerous. Recklessness could get us caught.”

She didn’t owe him an explanation. Her reasons for the joining the group were her own. Goading him, she said, “Guess you should have thought of that before asking me to join.”

His eyes narrowed as he popped his jaw to the side. “It seems to me you’ve forgotten about that incriminating photo. Don’t forget who holds the key to that box.”

Madison started to stand, but Avery grabbed her arm and held her in place. “Everyone just calm down. We’re on the same side.”

The earnestness in Avery’s tone tugged on Madison’s heart. “Look, if there’s one thing I am, it’s meticulous.” She made eye contact with every member of the group, pausing on Wyatt. “I’m not going to get caught.”

He carefully considered her words then nodded and leaned back in his chair. Garrett and Kelly took that as his consent for they nodded as well.

“So what do you do for fun?” Kelly asked. And with that single question, the tension broke and everyone relaxed.