Chapter 7-A

"Do it now," Avery whispered in Madison's ear.

A mass of curls fell into her eyes when she shook her head back and forth. "I can't. He's with all his friends."

"So? You've already met them at the burger joint. Stop chickening out. Just go up and do it before lunch ends."

Covertly, Madison looked over shoulder while pretending to push a lock of hair behind her ear. Carson was sitting by a table with all of his friends. He looked like he was in the middle of telling a story. His arms and hands animated as he talked, the table hanging on every word.

"I don't want to interrupt. I can talk to him about the article during class."

"But that girl is with him," Avery pointed out. Madison scowled at Lauren who was sitting next to Carson. Every few minutes she would shift her body so their arms or other parts of their body would brush.

"Look at her, she's practically panting. This is the perfect opportunity to mark your territory before someone else does."

"What am I—a dog?"

"No, you're a girl asserting her dominance."

"Isn't that the same thing?" Garrett asked.

The girls at the table turned in unison and shot him an angry glare. He held up his hands in surrender. "I mean there is no similarity whatsoever. It's the farthest thing from the truth."

"Smooth, Garrett, smooth," Wyatt drawled.

"I wouldn't be the one pointing fingers. At least I have the balls to kiss a girl."

An awkward silence descended as everyone looked everywhere but Avery and Wyatt. Madison took the chance to peek at Carson again and felt her stomach drop. Lauren's hand rested high on his arm. It wasn't a light touch either. No, her hand was curled around his bicep. Her nails sank in like she refused to let go. Carson looked down at her as she said something. He responded and it must have been amusing because she tilted her head back and let out a long laugh. The melodic sound wrapped around the two of them, cocooning them in private bubble.

Jealousy coursed through her blood. She had no right to feel that way; especially after telling Carson she wasn't positive she could give him what he wanted, but seeing the cozy scene made her seethe. After all, hadn't he made her promise to give them a chance? That he wanted to explore the possibility together?

Lauren playfully slapped his chest and then took a French fry off his plate. She made a big deal of eating it, taunting Carson, who in turn, stole a chip off of hers. Madison saw red. Before she knew it, she was standing up, her hands clenched at her sides. 

Garrett grabbed her arm before she could move. "You might want to contain that before you head over. You want him to like you, not think you're budding psychopath."

"That's a little harsh. You don't look like a psychopath," Kelly assured her.

"Thank y—"

"You're more like an enraged, crazy ex-girlfriend."

"And that's so much better?" Madison grumbled.

"No," Kelly and Wyatt cheekily stated.   

"Wipe the scowl off your face and you're good to go," Avery told her. Madison gritted her teeth and forced a smile. Avery and Kelly winced while Wyatt snorted and Garrett put a hand on his mouth to cover a laugh. 

"Now you appear to be in desperate need of some laxatives. Ease up, you're not forcing a bowel movement."

"Kelly!" Garrett rebuked.