Chapter 8-B

****

Garrett parked his dad's SUV in an open space between two black limos. Even with the windows closed, Madison could hear the pounding of the bass coming from the DJ. She climbed out after Avery, careful not to get the bottom of her dress tangled with her heels.

An arch of black and silver balloons greeted them as they followed the procession of students toward the gym. Tonight's theme was "A Night Under the Stars" and the Homecoming committee had decorated aptly. Hundreds of twinkling lights were strung around trees, shrubs, fences and buildings—and they hadn't even gotten inside the dance yet.

Avery slipped her arm through Madison's and whispered, "Is it just me or is Wyatt acting weird?"

"You mean weirder than normal?" That facetious question got her a poke in the side. She rubbed the spot as Avery leaned back and took a quick peek at Wyatt who was chatting with a few classmates.

"He hasn't looked me in the eye once all evening. Which is quite a feat considering we sat across from each other during dinner." Her eyes darted to Wyatt again. When she saw him laugh, she bit her lower lip and asked, "Do you think he's mad because of all the ribbing Garrett's been giving him?"

Madison didn't think Wyatt was mad, so much as frustrated and slightly nervous. She'd seen the way his mouth dropped when Avery first came into view. The strapless ruby dress was by far the most reveling piece of clothing Avery had ever worn. It clung to her figure and showed off her curves in ways polo shirts and jeans never had. After staring at her, Wyatt excused himself to the kitchen where Madison watched him chug two glasses of water.

It was clear he returned Avery's feelings. Why he kept refusing to acknowledge it stumped the whole group. Which was why Garrett decided to take on the role as instigator for the night. Every chance he got, he teased Wyatt or made thinly veiled innuendos. However, those attempts to push the two of them together only seemed to strengthen Wyatt's resolve to stay away.

"I think you should just forget about Wyatt tonight and enjoy the dance."

"Easier said than done," Avery grumbled. Her eyes tracked Wyatt as he parted ways with the students and made his way back to them. He stood with Garrett and Kelly giving Avery his shoulder. A whimper of pain escaped her mouth and she turned to Madison, seeking comfort and warmth.

Madison pulled her arm out from Avery's grasp and flung it around her shoulder. Pulling her close, she grabbed a hand and squeezed. "Once we get inside, we can slip away and do our own thing," she said in a low and soothing tone.

Avery's voice trembled as she replied, "But what about Carson? You were looking forward to spending time with him. I don't want to be the third wheel."

"Don't worry about it," she told her, pushing away the pang of disappointment. "Besides, this is Carson's last high school Homecoming dance. I'm sure he wants to spend it with all of his friends."

They made their way through the gym doors and were instantly transported to a magical place. Thousands of tiny lights hung from the ceiling with glittering stars interspersed between. The DJs booth was surrounded by fog and black tulle, making it appear to be floating. Tables and chairs were randomly placed along the edges of the gym. They were covered with black linen and each had a starlit centerpiece consisting of lights, white flowers and silver stars.

"Let's dance!" Avery shouted over the blaring music. Her head bobbed back and forth as she surveyed the scene.

"I don't really dance," Madison replied. She thought they could find a place to sit and listen to the music.

"Everyone dances."

Before she could refute the claim, Kelly wedged her body between them. "We're going to go find a table before they're all taken. Do you want to come?"