Chapter 10-B

Madison was right in the middle of telling Avery about her night with Carson when her cell phone rang. She groaned when she saw whom it was, knowing exactly why they were calling.

“Hey Mom,” she greeted, forcing herself to be upbeat. “How’s work?”

“Your father said you left the house.”

“I did.” She shifted away from Avery, her neck turning to the side. “I asked permission and he said I could go.”

“You’re supposed to be grounded.”

“I realize that but—”

“There’s no ‘but’ here, Madison. You’re grounded. Period. End of story.”

“But Dad said I could—”

“Rules are rules. I’m very disappointed in you. I let you go to the dance and this is how you repay me?” A frustrated sigh came over the line. Madison imagined her shaking her head and rubbing her temples as she paced the precinct. “I thought we’d made some progress the other day but clearly you’re determined to rebel against everything I say.”

“That’s not true,” Madison insisted.

“Then what is this, if not some teenage rebellion? Explain it to me Madison, because from where I’m standing, it seems you always do the opposite of what I say or want.”

Her mother’s tone made her teeth grind together. “Not everything is about you. I didn’t leave the house today as some sort of petty temper tantrum. Carson and I are working on an article later this afternoon. And before you say anything, we made these plans way before I was grounded.”

“And why are you at Avery’s house?” she asked, accusation seeping into every word.

“I got up early this morning and finished all of my chores. I mowed the lawn. I vacuumed the house. I cleaned both bathrooms and I washed my car. When I was done, Dad said I could visit her, but only for an hour.”

Her explanation was met with stony silence. Madison drew her legs up and banged her forehead against her knee—repeatedly. Talking with her mom was so frustrating. It wasn’t as if she’d left the house without telling anyone. Her father approved the whole thing! But was that good enough for her mom?

Nooo.

She theorized what was rolling around in Madison’s brain and insisted she was right, regardless if Madison said otherwise. For once, she wished her mom would listen, really listen, to what she had to say. Madison’s voice, her feelings, her opinions, was always brushed aside. They never seemed to matter in the great scheme of things. So why she bothered now was beyond her.

“I’m sorry I left the house even though I was grounded,” she said in a flat tone. Giving her mother what she wanted seemed to be the easiest solution.

“I’m not the bad guy here, Madison. I don’t enjoy making these phone calls. And I certainly don’t appreciate you putting me in these types of situations.”