Chapter 11-A

Madison’s conscious plagued her for the next couple of days. Her appetite as well as her ability to concentrate vanished. She received several reprimands from teachers for vacantly staring out the windows. One teacher had even pulled her aside and asked if something was wrong.

Madison couldn’t fault the teacher for her concern. She knew she looked like hell. Restless night coupled with intense guilt had taken its toll. Her skin appeared sallow, losing its natural glow, and dark circles formed under her eyes. She’d even lost the bounce in her step, dragging her feet as she trudged along.

Avery and the others noticed the change her also. At first they used discretion—covertly putting food on her plate or feeling her forehead for a fever—but after a couple days they ditched caution and straight out asked what was bothering her. She didn’t know how to respond so instead she shrugged the questions off and started avoiding them. She showed up to class right as the bell rang and bolted out right after. During lunch she hid in various spots, changing each day so they wouldn’t find her.

Frankly, it was exhausting and Madison knew something had to give. She couldn’t keep living her life like this. The only problem is she didn’t know what to do. By confessing, she would be betraying the others, but if she didn’t, she would be eaten alive by guilt. When she woke up Thursday morning, she had a plan. She would assuage her conscious by returning the medal. It wouldn’t solve everything, but it would be a start.

After school, she visited the library and quietly slipped into the back room. Taking out the box, she inserted the key she stole from Kelly during class and pulled out the medal. She went to close it, but hesitated when she saw the photo Wyatt had taken of her. Silently, she debated whether or not to snatch that too. If she did, it would be the final nail in the coffin for their friendship. Her fingers hovered for a beat before grabbing it. However, when she picked it up she discovered other photos as well, each of a FEC member with a stolen item.

Smart, she thought to herself. It was an insurance policy, a way to keep every member accountable.

Impulsively, she snatched those too and stuffed them in her backpack. Hopefully taking and burning them would compensate for her betrayal. Trying to appear nonchalant, she exited the building in a leisurely pace. When no one stopped her or suddenly yelled, “Thief!” she knew she was in the clear.

When she finally got home, she parked her car and blew out a sigh. Her plan was only halfway done. Tomorrow she would return the medal and reclaim the FEC coin. And somehow during all that, she would find a way to tell Avery and the gang what she had done. No problem right?

She checked her phone as she made her way into the house. Three missed calls and a voicemail from Avery as well as a text from Carson. She opened the text first.

Hope everything is all right. You’ve been MIA for our lunch ritual. What’s going on? Call me. —Carson

Madison was steering clear of Carson as well. Ever since the interviews she had trouble being in his presence. Every look, every smile he sent her was painful reminder of her deceit. If he ever found out the truth about her involvement, he’d turn his back on her. She opened the front door and listened to Avery’s message as she walked to her room.