8. Birthday/A Woman's Embrace

Start from the beginning

"I'm gonna do the dining room, and sort the CDs. You've got to choose from my amazing selection." Jackie called as she moved from the living room.

I went to call back to her or laugh in reply, but out the corner of my eye, I saw Mio coming down the stairs. I was distracted by her sudden presence, so I looked over. Our eyes met and she made a "shh" motion, waving me towards the stairs. The secrecy of our interaction made my heart pound. Without glancing back at Jackie, I walked over with my eyebrow raised, following her up into the stairwell.

She didn't say much more, just walked ahead of me, dressed for the evening in her long skirt and blouse. My palms were slightly sweaty. I think I thought I was going to be scolded for something I was unaware of. But, we came to the top of the stairs and she led me into her bedroom.

"Happy Birthday, Norah." She smiled, reaching into her back closet and retrieving a small parcel.

I looked up at her, swallowing. "For me?"

"Of course, open it." She urged, passing the gift into my hands.

I felt around the paper with my fingers at first, as if I couldn't bring myself to tear the neat wrapping she'd stuck and folded for me. I thought, out of embarrassment, my entire body was burning brightly, my skin hot to the touch like a stove. I met her eyes, saw her patient smiling face and began to pull at the wrapping. Beneath was a plastic rectangular box with a swimming-familiar logo printed in the top corner. They were very good, very pricey swimming goggles.

I looked up at her again with wide eyes. "No way, these are professional."

She waved for me to keep going, motioning that there was more to see. So, I pulled the box out carefully, setting it down on her bed end. Underneath, I saw another box - one much smaller and intricately designed. I popped the lid of it and felt my lips wobble with gratitude at the sight of the silver necklace laid inside. Linked onto it was a charm the shape of a fish, coloured golden with tiny jewels on the scales. It was so small and so simple, but such a wonderful gift. The two together would top anything I'd gotten in years.

I stared at Mio for a moment, not knowing how to properly express how grateful I was. She looked lovely. Her face and features were kind and gentle, lips pink and faintly parted, eyes narrow with her smile and framed with thick lashes. I stepped closer to her, my actions feeling reminiscent of the strange dream I'd had a week before. She didn't move from me, even as I opened my arms to embrace her.

"Thank you." I said in a small voice, hugging her.

Her arms came back around me, stroking my shoulder. My body experienced the strangest reaction at that moment; a hot flush running through the entirety of me, my lips falling open, eyes closing. It was the sensation of melting. Her body was so warm and comfortable, her skin and hair smelt so floral. I'd never been so strange about hugging someone ever; I wanted to slap myself over it. But something about Mio really made me feel weakened to her. I couldn't tell anymore whether it was her voice, smile, presence, smell or feel; everything seemed blended when I tried to focus. Perhaps it was just the effect of a woman's embrace.

Her patting my back again pulled me back into the room, and I separated our bodies as casually as I could. I knew my face was hot, that my skin was hot, but I prayed she'd ignore it.

"You didn't have to get me anything." I looked down at the necklace and goggles again, smiling.

"Do you like them?" She asked, scanning my face for approval.

I wanted to hug her again. "I love them. They're probably the best gifts I've had in years."

"Now you're just being too nice." She waved her hands at me. I noticed that her face was pink. "I'm glad you like them. Now, go, Jackie will be looking for you."