2. Friend of a Friend

The next week, after having been in Jackie's house twice more, I met Giana Horrman. I'd seen her a few times recently to then, but I hadn't really noticed her. She used the pool for swim club - the half that was for the club, the team used the other side. But I'd seen the back of her head when Jackie was over that side of the pool talking, Jackie being as friendly as she was. Giana had a blonde head - a kinky mane of blonde hair that was chopped at her shoulder blades, and when she first turned towards me, I saw that her face was long but pretty. Her eyes were a bright blue, like sapphire, and kindly downturned; her nose sloped and hooked. But her smile was enviable, a mouth full of pearly, straight-sitting teeth. She was short, much shorter than me and Jackie, but once I knew it, it was hard not to notice her in the room.

We were first introduced on a Thursday, a week after my encounter with Jackie's house, mom and lovely pool. I stood at the hair dryer in my bra and school skirt, one sock up, one sock down, waiting for my hair to fluff up. Over the roar of the dryer I didn't hear Jackie call for me at first, but once she tapped my shoulder with her sharp nails, I jumped upright. She was standing with a short, long-faced girl at her side and I'd just stared at them for a moment.

"Norah, this is Giana. She's in the club, you've seen her before, right?" Jacks motioned to the blonde, who was beaming, pink-faced.

I raised my hand in a wave. "Hi, Giana. And hmm, I think so. I probably have."

Giana's hand came up from her side, signalling for a handshake and I was baffled for a moment - but I shook it. "Giana Horrman. I'm in 10th grade, that's why you probably haven't seen me."

"Right, that's probably why. I'm in twelfth." I said, glancing at Jackie.

"I know." Giana gushed. "I've seen you swim, you're cool. A better swimmer than me anyway."

"Ah, thank you." I smiled politely, hand groping for the dryer again.

"Do you want to be a swimmer?" Giana asked.

"Uh, dunno actually. Maybe." I shrugged. "Lemme just finish up and I'll be right with you."

And I switched back on the dryer. It shrieked into my hair, blowing the wet strands up and away from my face. Jackie was grinning at me and I didn't know why. Her and Giana backed up and headed into the changing area while I dried my hair, Jackie looking back over her shoulder to stick her tongue out at me. The way she usually did. I tilted my head like a dog, confused, in response, but she didn't look back again.

Right off the bat, I thought Giana was strange. I'd never had an introduction quite like that. It felt more like I was a celebrity meeting a fan, than an underclassman and senior greeting.

Jackie came back over once my hair had dried, holding my blouse in her fist. She leant against the wall, smiling at me.

"Who was that?" I asked, slipping my arms into the sleeves of my blouse.

"Giana Horrman." Jackie said, smirking.

"Okay, yes, but what was that about?" I rephrased.

"I was introducing you to Giana Horrman." Jackie reached forward and fixed my shirt collar, smoothing out the pointed edge.

"Why are we being so strange about it then?" I tucked my shirt into my skirt, then bent to straighten my socks.

"Who's being strange?—apart from you! Why?—is something strange, Fish?" Jackie raised her eyebrow. I rose from my sock and frowned at her. I knew she was being stupid for no reason, to build "suspense" as she said. But I was more irritated than interested.