Krey was only used to getting his mothers opinion for everything. Krey was too terrifying for anyone to speak out of term. Krey wasn't used to having full conversations, but with Pip, they were equal and could talk that way.

"Francis has never given me a reason to distrust her. Of course, it would have been Jordan to ruin everything."

"Is Jordan still in the cellar?"

"Yes, Sid is keeping an eye on him."

"Will you ask him to move out or just get rid of his, uh, b-be- um, b-"

"Beta position?" Krey asked.

Pip nodded.

"I'm not sure. If I chuck him out, he'll run to another wolf pack and tell them about you. But you're living here now, so you're safe."

"Will you try and talk to him?"

"I don't know if talking is the right word," Krey mumbled, looking down to his bruised knuckles.

"Who will you choose as your Beta?" Pip asked.

Krey cocked a brow at all his questions, glad that Pip felt comfortable enough to ask. "I thought about asking Francis, but she's just an Omega."

"What makes her an Omega?"

"Family," Krey said. "Her parents must have been Omegas. It's just the way it goes."

"So, your mum was Alpha?" Pip asked carefully.

Krey's heart throbbed as it always did when he thought about his father. "Well, my mum comes from a line of Beta wolves. My dad was from an Alpha family." Speaking about his father in the past tense was hard.

"So, how did they know if you would be Alpha or Beta?"

"They didn't until I was five and had scared all the cooks enough to give me dessert whenever I wanted."

Pip laughed. "You were only five?"

"I was born with angry fists, apparently."

Pip watched Krey scoot a little closer. "I believe that."

Krey's eyes moved around Pip's face. Seeing him smile and hearing him laugh was a medicine so strong, even Krey felt good. "So yeah. I knew one day I would be Alpha. Just not so soon."

Pip wanted to ask about what happened with his father, but he didn't want to dampen the mood. "Do you think you'll ask Francis to be your Beta, then? Or is it frowned upon?"

"Maybe." Krey shrugged. "I don't care about rules, but I'll have to think about it some more."

Pip and Krey soon had all of Pip's stuff slotted into place. Krey kindly shared half of his large desk for Pip's laptop and college stuff, slotted the only book Pip owned among his own books, and mingled his clothes in the same chest of drawers. Pip's toiletries were with Krey's toiletries. Even seeing their toothbrushes together on the sink was enough to make Krey's wolf want to howl with happiness.

"Are you hungry yet?" Krey asked.

"Yes." Now that Pip wasn't so nervous, his normal feelings were returning.

"Do you mind if I leave you here for ten minutes while I get food and bring it back?"

Pip shook his head to say that he didn't mind.

"What do you like to eat?"

"Everything," Pip said. "Um, I'll just have the same as you."

Krey hovered by the door. He wanted to kiss Pip or hug him or something, but he wouldn't be gone for long.

Pip watched Krey's attempt at a smile. His lips only curled slightly at the sides, but it was enough to brighten his face when he didn't scowl. Pip smiled back before Krey left and shut the door behind him.

The silence in the room settled, and Pip looked around at his belongings. He wondered how long it would take for him to feel like Krey's room was his room too.

Krey's phone buzzed against his desk, making Pip jump.

Pip moved to the window and looked down at the busy field. About sixty people were running around, doing push ups, crunches, and carrying each other on their shoulders.

If Pip were passing through the woods, he would assume he had stumbled upon a military base. Pip still couldn't believe that the werewolf rumour, the most far-fetched rumour, was true.

He thought about asking if he could see Krey's wolf, but he didn't want to see the transformation, not when the sound of Krey's bones cracking still made him shudder.

Pip watched the people below until he spotted Francis doing star jumps in the far corner. Her dreadlocks bounced all around her face. She wore a black top, short enough to show her bellybutton, and wore purple leggings with black trainers.

Black was a familiar theme among the werewolves, apart from Sid's red hair. Pip followed Sid as he bolted through the crowd of wolves. They edged out of his way, and Pip frowned when he approached Francis.

They were too far for him to figure out expressions, but Francis hurried back with him through the field.

Krey's phone then buzzed again, and again. Pip didn't want to answer to Sid.

He hovered by the phone, feeling like something was wrong. When Francis phoned, he answered with a quick hello. "Um, Krey's gone to get food," Pip said.

"Where are you?" Francis was out of breath. She sounded like she was still running.

"In the bedroom. Is everything-"

"Lock the door!"

Pip looked at the metal handle. "There is no lock. Francis, what-" Pip leapt back when the handle twitched. "Francis," he whispered. The handle pressed down and the door slowly opened.

"Pip, go to Krey's mother's room now!" Francis demanded. Pip heard her yell at someone to move, then Krey's phone slipped from his fingers when a tall figure entered Krey's room and shut the door behind him.

"Pippor, how are your fingers?" Jordan asked with a lopsided smirk.