Chapter 3

"Explain," the man demanded, not looking away from Pip as he made his way down the stairs. Sid and Jordan shuffled further into the room with eyes glued to the ground.

"This human was inside the grounds," Jordan mumbled.

Pip broke the stare to see Jordan and Sid cowering in the shadows. Pip felt the man's authority. He must be the leader of this place, he thought and dared to sneak another peek. The man didn't look much older than Pip. How could someone so young be in charge? Status, Pip thought. The man's parents must own the institute or something.

"Why?" The man's deep voice drilled through Pip's chest.

"I-I was running-"

"Don't you dare talk to the Alpha!" Jordan yelled, interrupting Pip's pathetic whispers.

Pip's bottom lip quivered once again, and he pulled his knees to his chest. He didn't understand the terms they used or why they were looking at him like he had fallen from Mars. Pip would have felt better at the police station.

The man turned to Jordan, scowling deeper than before. Thick black brows pushed down, casting shadows over his already dark eyes. "Why is this human in our cellar?" he asked through gritted teeth.

"He said he was running from people. I don't believe him. I think-"

"How did he get in?"

They all looked to Pip who was wiping away fresh tears. "I climbed over the fence," he whispered.

The man's glare turned cold. "Jordan," he growled. "If a human can get in, who else can?" The man stormed to Jordan and grabbed his t-shirt, growling, "Sort this out."

"Y-Yes, yes immediately, Alpha!" Jordan spluttered after the Alpha shoved him away.

Pip's eyes followed the man through the cellar.

"Alpha, what should we do with the human?" Sid asked, still hiding in the shadows.

The man slowly turned his head and once again, connected his gaze with Pip. He stared hard and for long enough to make Pip uncomfortable. "I don't care," he muttered and climbed the steps without a second glance.

Once he was gone, Jordan perked up with a grin. "I knew he wouldn't get all soft." He kicked the bars, and Pip would have leapt out of his skin if he could. "What did you say earlier, Sid? Break fingers?"

Pip pushed his back against the wall. Jordan gripped the bars with an ugly smirk.

"If you l-let me go, I won't tell anyone about this. I'll pretend that it never happened!" Pip pleaded, holding his hands tightly.

"You're not getting out."

"P-Please," Pip whined and sobbed hard. His eyes were red raw, tears streamed to nose, into his mouth and down his neck. "I'm sorry!"

Jordan shook his head. "Pathetic. Really, really pathetic." He unlocked the bars and stepped inside. Each step was agonisingly slow.

Pip eyed the open door. If only he believed in himself enough to run. "Please don't hurt me," he whispered when the guy was standing right in front of him. Jordan crouched, and Pip tensed all over.

"Jordan." Sid hovered by the bars. Pip's desperate splutters made him hesitate. "Maybe we should just leave him for the night."

"Don't give me orders, Delta."

Sid rolled his eyes. He sulked up the stairs and only when the door shut behind him, Pip realised how silent the cellar was. He could hear his heartbeat and the ringing in his ears from crying.