Chapter 64

If you're writing something on Wattpad, promote your story on this chapter only! Let's support each other :)

- Sian

After all that was said, Krey needed fresh air. He sat on some wooden steps by the back door, staring out to the horizon. In the distance, a rough tide smashed against rocks. Seagulls circled and screeched above, and the cold breeze twisted through trees nearby.

The sky was blue, and the sun was bright but not warm. The breeze was nice and cool for Krey but freezing for Pip as he watched his mate from the doorway.

Pip pulled sleeves over his hands and approached Krey. He sat next to him on the steps. Krey wasn't surprised to see him because Pip's sweet scent had been blowing in the wind.

Krey's arm automatically wrapped around Pip's shoulders. "It's too cold outside for you."

"I just wanted to see if you were okay."

Krey studied Pip's blue eyes, dazzling in the sun, honest and beautiful in the morning light. "I don't know when I was last okay."

Pip's arm coiled around Krey's back. They sat close, so the wind couldn't squeeze between them. Krey's warmth was like wearing a jumper straight from the dryer. "O-Out of all the things Viktor said, I'm least surprised about Jordan being the enemy."

"Really?"

"Jordan was horrible, so I guess it makes sense that he was a part of a plan to, um, get your Packhouse. A-And also, I understand now why he hated me so much and tried to kill me. He must have been desperate to be back with his mate and wanted you to lose your wolf, so they could attack."

"So fucked up," Krey mumbled. "All of this is just... why didn't I see any of this coming?"

"They wanted you to blame yourself." Pip shivered and Krey's arm tightened around him. Even in an unfamiliar place surrounded by unfamiliar people, Pip felt safe with Krey. "They wanted you to blame yourself for everything, so when they attacked, you'd feel like you deserved it."

"But they didn't think I'd meet you."

Pip smiled. "You can stop blaming yourself now."

"I am still partly to blame. I still tried to challenge the southern pack by taking the bait of their fake Alpha mate. If I had just left it alone-"

"They would've found another way in." Pip could see Krey beating himself up again. "Jordan was already in your Packhouse. They would have thought of another way to kill your father. Viktor's right, you're the victim in this."

"I feel pretty guilty for a victim."

"Because you're still alive."

"I thought my dad died protecting me from something I foolishly started."

"Now you know that your dad was the one they were after all along. They had taken advantage of the fact you were his son and could be easily blamed because of the way you were last year. Your dad's death wasn't your fault." Pip had talked with Makena before finding Krey by the back doors. He now had a pretty good understanding of what happened with Krey's father, especially now that Viktor laid the truth out for all to see.

Krey sighed and rubbed his eyes. "I just want my bed."

"Do you think they'll trash your Packhouse?"

"They can if they want. It needed decorating anyway," Krey grumbled, suddenly fearing that they'd get into his father's office, the same office his father died in, and the same office that had been locked since the tragedy.