Chapter 36

Pip's head was busy. He hadn't thought about the dangers of knowing that wolves existed. He hadn't thought about the risks of being Krey's mate. He hadn't even thought about how dangerous Krey was as a person.

However, the thought of getting out of his horrid aunt and uncle's place was like a dream come true. But it all felt very rushed. "If I don't come back with you tonight, will I be in danger?"

"Enough to make me sit outside of your house all night." Krey was honest. He couldn't afford to sweeten the situation.

"But if nobody knows about me, won't it be weird to turn up with me at the institute?"

"Yes, but that's my fault for not telling anyone." The only person Krey worried about was his mother. He should have told her when he had the chance.

"I don't know about this." Pip wrapped arms around himself. "It's all just-just a bit crazy."

Krey scooted closer. "I knew when I dreamt about you that you were human and being mates with me would change your life. I wish it didn't have to be like this. But I'm a fucking idiot by choosing a horrible path, and my enemies are now your enemies. I'm so sorry, but this is how it is now."

Pip looked down to the tree trunk. He pulled bits of bark off to distract his mind. "Thank you for explaining and not making me think everything was fine."

"You deserve to know what's going on, and how dangerous I am. This is your life too."

Pip liked Krey's blunt honesty. He cared about Pip enough to treat him with respect, rather than a gullible human who knew nothing about werewolves. "I just really wish I could have time to think about this."

"I wish I could give you time. I know it's not fair. You barely know me, and you've only just found out about who I really am. It's okay if you're overwhelmed." Krey watched Pip's big eyes dart around the woods. The longer they sat out in the open, the more on edge Krey felt. He wondered if Pip felt his nerves. The bond was always strengthening, knitting them closer and closer with each passing day.

Krey shuffled even closer until Pip's crossed legs touched the side of his thigh. He held Pip's cold cheeks, lifting his head to connect their gaze. "I just want you to be safe," Krey whispered, looking at Pip's soft lips.

Pip melted into him, and their lips connected. A kiss was like lifting a heavy vail from his heart. Their stresses seemed to blow away with the wind.

Krey's strong arms wrapped around Pip, and at that moment, Pippor Monty had never felt so safe pressed against him, with their lips moving in sync. Krey always kissed Pip softly, like he cherished each kiss, hoping for them to last forever.

Krey had told Pip that he was dangerous. Krey had told Pip that he spent his time seeking out other mates to pray on their emotions. Deep down, something whispered to Pip that things were going to change. He didn't see that nasty side of Krey, so it was hard to believe that Krey was as horrible as he lead Pip to believe.

When they pulled away, Pip wanted to say that he would go with Krey to the institute, but he was scared. Sudden change had never been kind to him. "Would it be selfish of me to not go to the institute tonight?" he asked.

Krey's eyes were a gooey mess of affection. "No. But I'll stay outside your house. I don't mind. I like the woods at night." Krey understood completely.

"Are you sure you don't mind?"

"It's a nice night tonight. I won't mind at all."

Pip felt terrible, but he wasn't yet ready to make such a huge decision, even if it compromised his safety. "I'm sorry."