"No clue."

"Hand me your schedule."

She looked it over. "Mr. Andrews. Down that hallway," she said, pointing to my right. "Aww, and we have AP English lit together. And guess who doesn't have to eat lunch all by her lonesome.

"Is it you?"

She narrowed her eyes. "I might not be one of the Populars, but I do have other friends. And we eat together. You, on the other hand, currently know no one else at this school besides me and I'm inviting you to join me and my very nice friends at lunch. You won't get another offer like this, Mazie. I'd advise you to take it."

I wasn't sure whether the thought of eating lunch by myself or having to talk to new people was more terrifying, but the last thing I wanted to do was piss off Kayla. She was right that she was my one lifeline at Dorn High. Plus, she was my partner, helping me solve a mystery she had no proof was more than just a figment of my imagination.

"Thank you for the offer and I eagerly accept it. But, what did you say about Populars? Is that a thing you just made up?"

"I wish it was. No, the Populars go back to at least the mid-nineties. They're just a glorified clique, really. But they have a weird induction ceremony that I don't know much about because, well, I'm not exactly Populars material."

"Induction. Like a secret society or a frat or something?"

"Or something. Anyways, every year a junior boy and girl are made leaders. They reign supreme for the year, then pass the torch to whoever they select for the next year. Then they spend senior year being waited on hand and foot by the Freshman and Sophomore Populars, all hoping to get noticed so they'll be selected as leaders their Junior year. And the Senior leaders don't have to lift a damn finger."

"Doesn't sound so bad."

"No, not if you're the retired leaders. But if you're the other Populars? I just don't get the appeal. I mean, there's at least twenty of them in each class and only two are going to become leaders their Junior year. I mean, ruling the school as king and queen may sound appealing, but the odds are not in anyone's favor."

"People like competition, I guess."

"Fools like dreaming of glory is what I think." She nudged me forward. Let's get you to Mr. Andrew's classroom.

The walk to my first destination of the day took all of twelve seconds. People continued their squinty-eyed stares. A few nodded in Kayla's direction, acknowledging her place in Dorn High's social pecking order: not too high as to be revered or kowtowed to, not too low as to be shunned.

She handed me back my schedule. You get your locker assignment?"

I shook my head.

"Ask Andrews about that. We've got fourth period together and then lunch. So, I'll see you in a couple hours."

I stared at her like a kitten about to be adopted to its forever home and she was my mom who I was never going to see again.

"You'll do fine. You've survived first days of school before and you'll survive this one. Just keep your head up and try not to barf on anyone."

I could probably manage one or the other but both at the same time seemed a tad unrealistic.

"See you in English class," I managed to say in what I'm guessing from her expression was at the decibel level of a banshee on tranquilizers. I cleared my throat. "I'll be all right."