chapter forty-five

I gently laid Dobby on the grass and grabbed Harry and Ron. Hermione was unconscious on the couch inside and Luna was helping Ollivander into a room.

Harry and Ron walked back outside with me and we dug a deep whole to bury Dobby in. None of us spoke.

Once Dobby was properly buried with a makeshift tombstone, we reentered the cottage, falling into the available beds or couches and sleeping immediately.

~~~

I awoke to something poking me in the back. I sat up slowly, feeling around the couch for whatever had touched me, and I found a wand.

The wand was familiar and it wasn't long before I realised it was Draco's. I must have put it in my pocket after he gave it to me.

Suddenly wide awake, I stood up, stretching. Harry was pacing on the other side of the room.

"Did you sleep at all?" I asked.

"Not much," he answered, stopping. "We need to talk to Griphook and Ollivander."

I followed Harry upstairs and into Griphook's room. He was sitting on the bed, looking out the open window.

"We need your help," Harry announced, sitting down on a chair. "I knew I recognised you. You helped us as Gringotts six years ago, right?"

"Yes, Potter. What do you need me for?"

"We need to break into Bellatrix's vault."

I coughed. "What?"

"I'll explain later," he said. "So, can you help us?"

"I will help you, but on one condition: The Sword of Gryffindor."

"No!" said Harry. He had grabbed it before leaving the manor.

"Then I am afraid," Griphook said, "we do not have a deal."

Harry sighed and left the room, turning to find Ollivander's room.

"What do we need in Bellatrix's vault?"

"She said something yesterday that made me believe that she's hiding something important there. Maybe Hufflepuff's cup?"

"That makes sense," I said. "Maybe you should just give Griphook the sword? He can help is get the cup."

"He can't have the sword! We need it."

"I know, but he's our best bet."

Harry ignored me and opened the door to Ollivander's room.

"Oh," he croaked, "hello."

"Are you alright?" I asked.

"Yes, yes," the wandmaker said, his voice quiet and hoarse. "They just had us locked up for so long, with no food or anything. . . ."

"We have some things to ask you," Harry said, changing the subject. "First, can you identify these wands?"

Harry handed a wand to him and I gave him Draco's.

Olivander took Harry's first, turning it slightly in his fingers. "Walnut and dragon heartstring," he said. "Twelve-and-three-quarter inches. Unyielding. This wand belongs to Bellatrix Lestrange." He gave the wand back and examined Draco's. "Hawthorn and unicorn hair. Ten inches precisely. Reasonably springy. This was the wand of Draco Malfoy."

"Was?" I asked. "Isn't it still his?"

"Perhaps not. If you took it—"

"He gave it to me."