chapter twenty-five

"Today is a big day for us," Umbridge squeaked, standing at the front of her office. The entire twenty-five Slytherin students in the Inquisitorial Squad had gathered in her room for an emergency meeting. "Does anyone have any thoughts as to what that might be?"

"We're finally going to catch Harry Potter?" someone spoke up.

"Correct! We even have our own spy to help us in catching him," Umbridge said excitedly. Without warning, she grabbed my wrist and pulled me next to her. "Miss Potter, one of your leaders, is assisting us."

A lone student booed. Draco, who was near me, turned around instantly and glared at them. A sense of joy filled me at that sight, but I waved it away.

"Explain the plan, Miss Potter."

I took a deep breath, preparing myself to tell this group of people exactly where my brother was teaching Dumbledore's Army. 

For the tenth time that day, I asked myself why I was outing Harry to Umbridge. I told myself the same thing as I did the other nine times: I would have time to warn Harry, and telling Umbridge about this would help her trust me more.

"I have been attending my brother's meetings since they began in October," I said loudly. "I would have said something sooner, but I wanted to make sure that he trusted me. I know that he does now, which means that this is the best time to go through with this."

I paused, noticing that my breathing was steadier and there was feeling of confidence flowing through me. "My brother meets with twenty-five other people in the Room of Requirements, and I have confirmation that they will be meeting tonight. In groups of five, we will go in and grab anyone we can to take into questioning."

"Thank you, Miss Potter. You may stand with Mr Malfoy again," said Umbridge.

I walked back to Draco, and guilt immediately replaced my confidence. What if this actually ended up hurting someone?

Draco turned and smiled at me, removing my doubts quickly. He seemed happy, and that's what mattered.

~~~

"Harry," I said as soon as I walked into the Room of Requirements.

He sensed the urgency in my voice and came to attention. "What's wrong?"

"Umbridge knows about this group and that we're meeting tonight. I don't know when she's coming, but she's bringing the Inquisitorial Squad."

"How could she have known?"

I started speaking, but paused. Could I tell him? "You have every right to be mad."

"What did you do?"

"I . . . I was the one who told her. She put me in a high place in her group and I thought that she would trust me more. If she trusted me more than I would have more access to her control of power--"

"I'm so excited for this lesson," a student cried, drawing Harry and I away from our conversation.

Harry turned to me, glaring. "I thought I could trust you," he spat, disgust dripping from his voice. "We are going to get through this lesson. As soon as she comes near, we will get out of here. I don't want to talk to you after this."

I nodded, ignoring the tears welling in my eyes. I didn't even care that he didn't want to be around me; I just knew that I had done something wrong.

"Today, we will be learning the Patronus charm," Harry said to the group of students. "It is a very powerful spell that wards away evil creatures, and, when used correctly, is extremely useful against Dementors."

"To cast the spell, you will lift your wands, think of the happiest memory you can, and say 'Expecto Patronum'," I explained.

"Can you show us?" someone asked.

I looked at Harry, who nodded.

"Expecto Patronum!" we shouted in sync.

A silver stag burst from his wand at the same time as my Patronus.

There were many "ooh"s from the crowd, and they walked to a spot to practice at.

"Alright, ready?" Harry said.

"Expecto Patronum!" people began shouting.

I walked around, looking at all of the silver animals flying around.

Hermione was grinning at her Otter Patronus, Ron with his Jack Russel Terrier. I saw Luna's hare hopping around, and Ginny's stallion galloping above everyone.

Out of nowhere, there was a loud pop, and the room went silent. Dobby the House-elf stood there, trembling.

"Dobby has come to warn Harry and Y/n Potter," he said loudly, "they are coming, you must run!"

"Umbridge," I answered.

I looked around and began shooing the people out in large groups. One of the walls shattered, and Umbridge walked through it, followed by Draco and a few other students in the Inquisitorial Squad.

"Nice work, Miss Potter," Umbridge said before turning to Draco. "Well, Malfoy, get them!"

"Yes, Professor," he responded as Harry darted down the hall. "Petrificus Totalus!"

Harry fell, struck with the Full-Body Binding curse. Umbridge marched up to Harry, who was lying there, still. She picked up my twin and dragged him to Dumbledore's office.

Draco and I were following Umbridge, but before we entered, she sent Draco away to find the others from Dumbledore's Army. Umbridge pulled me into Dumbledore's office.

The office was full of people. Dumbledore was sitting behind his desk, Professor McGonagall standing rigidly beside him, her face extremely tense. Cornelius Fudge, Minister of Magic, was standing near the fire, apparently quite pleased with the situation. Kingsley Shacklebolt and a wizard I did not recognize stood on either side of the door like guards. Percy Weasley stood excitedly by a wall, quill and parchment ready.

Harry's curse was undone and he broke out of Umbridge's grasp, trying to get away. She grabbed his wrist.

"What do you know about Dumbledore's Army?" Umbridge asked the Headmaster.

"Ah, yes. Dumbledore's Army," he greeted it like an old friend, even though we had never told him about it, "I had formed this group to help teach the students who wished to learn proper defence against the dark arts."

Umbridge looked outraged.

"Umbridge, Dolohov, take this man to his cell in Azkaban," Fudge demanded.

Dumbledore sighed, saying, "Ah, so you thought I would come quietly?"

Fawkes flew majestically above Dumbledore and they disappeared together.

"You know, Minister," said Phineas Nigellus, "I disagree with Dumbledore on many counts, but you cannot deny he's got style."