chapter one

I looked up at my beaming parents. They seemed so proud of me . . . and then that stupid, bright green light hit them, and they crumbled in front of me. 

I awoke with a start. I looked to my left to see Harry standing in front of my bed, folding clothes.

"Y/n, are you okay?" Harry asked, concern in his voice.

I nodded. "Just another nightmare about Mum and Dad."

Harry nodded. "We should hurry to get downstairs. Remember, they're having company over again!"

I hopped out of bed, put on a blue shirt and jeans, and Harry and I downstairs to face the Dursleys again.

Before giving my cousins the chance to scold me, I walked into the kitchen to get Uncle Vernon's coffee, just like I always had to. Just as I was bringing it to him, he yelled, "Bring out the damned coffee already!"

I turned to Harry after giving my uncle the cup he had demanded. My brother was holding two yellowish envelopes.

"Dad! Harry has mail!" Dudley shouted. He wrenched it from Harry's hands, moving at a speed I didn't know he could muster. Dudley thrusted the envelopes into Vernon's hands, and he ripped them up immediately.

"What was that for? Those letters were addressed to us!" Harry yelled.

Uncle Vernon just ignored him, but that was a mistake. Days passed, and each day brought more and more letters. We didn't know where they were coming from, but we did know that they were addressed to Harry and me.

~~~

Uncle Vernon had quickly gotten sick of the letters, so we rented a cabin in the middle of nowhere. It was storming, and we had been at the cabin for less than 6 hours when the door burst open. A very tall man with a fluffy beard stepped in.

Uncle Vernon, scared but angry, pulled out a gun. Aunt Petunia and Dudley were cowering behind him. Harry and I stood behind the couch.

The tall man walked into the cabin like he owned the place and put his hands on the gun, bending it until it was circular instead of straight. Uncle Vernon tried shooing the man away, but failed miserably, leading to a pig tail in Dudley's rear by the end of it.

The tall man turned to us while our cousins dashed upstairs, terrified.

"Y/n, Harry," he said casually, like putting tails in people was something he did on a daily basis. "You two're wizards."

My eyes widened. A wizard?

"I'm Hagrid," he said, handing us each a yellowish letter that matched the ones from our house.

I read my letter quickly, soon bubbling with excitement.

"Come with me." He walked out the door and we followed him, leaving our cousins behind. "I'm going to teach you the ways of a wizard."

~~~

The next day, Harry and I were in the streets of Diagon Alley with Hagrid, shopping for the apparent essentials, whatever those were.

"Hagrid? I read the list of items that we needed for uh, the school. What's it called again?"

Our tall friend looked down at us, his deep voice booming. "You two'll be going to a school called Hogwarts. It's quite magnificent, it is. The first step will be getting your wands, which ya need in order to do magic." His accent made his words sound odd, but it was enjoyable.

"Where do we get our wands?" Harry asked, excited.

"Right over there, at that shop called Ollivander's," he said, pointing. "I'll get ya two a birthday gift while you're doing that!"

Harry and I walked over to the little shop, unsure of what to expect.

"Oh, my! The Potter twins?" an elderly wizard, Ollivander, said as we walked in.

"Hello, sir!" I said happily, despite not knowing why he was so excited for us.

We began testing wands. Harry ended up with a wand that had twin cores with another wand. Ollivander had explained that the other wizard with the twin core was an evil man whose name must not be said, which scared us a bit, but apparently he was dead, so we weren't that scared.

I got my wand after a few tests, then walked out. Hagrid joined you, holding two cages, covered with thin cloths.

"Here, I got yeh a bird, Harry, and you a cat, Y/n."

"Thank you, Hagrid!" we said in unison, grabbing the cages excitedly and uncovering them. Harry's owl was a beautiful, snowy white, with colourful eyes and soft weathers. My cat was a smooth and silky black.