chapter thirty

I walked into the crowded Great Hall with Draco. He had my hand in his, and, even though I didn't know why, I was comforted by it. We sat down with Star and remained quiet against the chatter of the other students. I barely touched the food I had grabbed as a fight waged inside of my own mind.

I shouldn't have left Harry. I should be mad at Draco.

Harry got what he deserved. What did he do to earn my help?

I'm a horrible person.

Draco doesn't think that.

I put my hands over my ears, the deafening sound around me driving into my brain and tearing it apart with every passing second.

I felt a hand on mine, and I looked up to see Draco, eyes filled with concern. I moved to tell him that I was okay, but as soon as my position changed, I was shoved into the person next to me.

Pansy Parkinson, a brown-haired Slytherin in my year, was sitting in between me and Draco. She turned around, giggling, and said, "Oops, sorry!" in a tone that couldn't have been more fake.

I scowled, watching as Draco tried to move her from the bench. Pansy stayed put, smiling and giggling. She attempted multiple times to start a conversation with Draco, each time ending the same way: Draco frowning and saying something dry.

Star shot me a confused and annoyed look, and I returned it.

Finally, Draco was able to get her off of the bench. Pansy stood up and turned to me, forcing a smile even though her eyes were filled with anger. She stormed away and sat back down at the other end of the table, glaring at me.

"That was strange," I said, moving next to Draco again.

"I hate her," Star growled.

"I agree." Draco's voice was filled with anger, something I hadn't heard from him in a while.

I shook my head, getting rid of my inner conflicts, and grabbed my glass of water. I took a sip, set my cup back down, and waited. My vision blurred, and everything around me went silent. I blacked out.

~~~

Pain screamed through my throat as I awoke. My eyes opened slowly, as I looked around to see cots and windows. I was in the Hospital Wing.

I sat up, ignoring my dizziness. Draco and Star were standing by my cot, talking worriedly. Professor Slughorn was with Snape, lecturing Pansy Parkinson.

"She's awake!" Star cried, rushing over to hug me. Draco smiled, following her.

"What happened?" I asked.

"Pansy slipped some sort of poison into your drink. You nearly died," Draco explained.

"I'm so glad you're okay," Star said happily.

Draco sat down on my cot, looking at me. He grabbed my hand gently. "I don't know what I," he started, stumbling over his words, "I mean we--would have done without you."

Star yawned. "I think I'm going to head off to sleep," she said. "It's nearly eleven. Goodnight, guys. I'll see you in the dorm, Y/n."

She left, and as she did, Pansy and Slughorn realised that I was awake. They walked over to me, Pansy obviously angry and Slughorn relieved.

Pansy looked at Draco's hand, which was still holding mine, and she flared with anger. She was about to start yelling.

I looked at Draco and grabbed the collar of his robes. I brought his face next to mine and kissed him.

His lips were soft and moved with mine. He smiled into the kiss, but he didn't break away from me. I felt an intense feeling of happiness explode within me, making me smile too. This was exactly what I wanted.

I finally pulled away from Draco to breathe, watching with satisfaction as Pansy fumed. She stormed out of the Hospital Wing. Draco grinned.

Madam Pomfrey approached me with Slughorn. He cleared his throat and Draco hopped off of my cot, standing to my side.

"Miss Potter," Slughorn said, "you were poisoned using Aconite Fluid. Miss Parkinson slipped it into your drink while you were eating. Thanks to the Malfoys getting you here so quickly, I was able to mix a potion to reverse the effects of the poison."

"What Professor Slughorn is trying to say is you're alive, and you're well," Madam Pomfrey interjected. "I would like to see you tomorrow to make sure that the poison was completely removed from your system."

"Thank you," I said.

"You and Mr Malfoy are free to go."

I stood up and walked with Draco. I started giggling as soon as we left the Hospital Wing. 

"Did you see the look on Pansy's face? She was so mad," I said.

Draco smiled. "That was priceless."

We walked for a few more minutes, but soon, Draco stopped.

"Why did you stop?"

"Come here for a minute."

I walked over to him, curious as to why.

My question was quickly answered as Draco put his lips on mine. I leaned into the kiss, standing taller to reach him better. Our lips moved in sync, both of us equally hungry for one another. I needed this, I needed him; why?

I pulled away from Draco, leaving him confused and panting. I smiled at him and grabbed his hand, leading him further towards our destination: the Slytherin common room.

We walked on in silence, our steps the only thing making noise this late at night. I couldn't help but get lost in my thoughts as we made our way to the dungeons. Snape's warning from last year popped back into my mind. He had told me that I shouldn't let myself get close to Draco, but here I was, walking with him after just making out with him.

Should I really trust Snape? He seemed serious, and why would he say that if nothing was really going to happen? Then again, what could Draco do that would make me regret getting close to him?

I tried shaking away my thoughts as Draco and I entered the common room. It was empty, which didn't surprise me, considering how late it was.

Instead of going straight to our dorms, Draco led me over to one of the couches. We sat down.

"Y/n," he began. "I have something to tell you."

"Yeah?"

"I know that we did things out of order, but I . . . I think I like you. I mean, really, really like you. You're so amazing, and sweet, and beautiful, and--"

He stopped as I grabbed his hands.

"I feel the same, Draco."

I watched his face light up. His eyes seemed to sparkle, and he showed a genuine smile. He was happy.