chapter eleven

"Look, Star, I know that I have to do this, but I don't know if I can."

"It's going to be hard, but you've gotten through everything in your past so far. Fighting a dragon is going to be a piece of cake," she said.

"But that's exactly it! How do I fight a dragon?"

"I . . . do not have an answer for you. But, don't worry, I'm going to help you get through this."

"Thank you," I answered quietly. "Wait, is that your brother?" I pointed to a large tree in the middle of the courtyard. We walked over to him and paused when we saw Harry standing in front of the tree.

"You know, Potter," said Malfoy loudly, "my father and I have a bet. He says you won't last ten minutes in the tournament. I say you won't last five. Your sister, however, will beat your arse cold in this thing."

"Listen, Malfoy," Harry said, marching up to him as he jumped from the tree. "I don't give a damn about some bloody bet between you and your father. He's a vile man. You're just pathetic," he paused, looking for another response, "and what do you care? Are you just saying that so your father will let you be around my sister?"

Draco took a step and was right next to Harry, wand in his hand. "Don't act like you're so perfect, Potter," he growled.

With a poof, Draco disappeared, his clothes in a pile on the grass. A small, high-pitched squeak came from inside his pants, and a white ferret ran out of the waist.

I backed up, covering my mouth as I giggled. Star looked at me, doing the same. We watched as Ferret-Draco scampered around, in awe.

Professor Moody walked up to us, his wand pointed at the ferret.

"Alastor?" said Professor McGonagall, walking up behind us. "What are you doing? Is that a student?"

"Technically, it's a ferret."

"You know the rules!" McGonagall screeched, turning Draco back to his human form. "Come with me," she said to the other professor. They walked away as Draco stumbled over to me and Star, ignoring the looks we were getting.

~~~

"You're going to be okay!" Star said, grabbing my shoulders and looking me straight in the eyes. Her grey eyes pierced into me, shaking her words deep in my mind. "Remember what we practised."

"Champions to the tent!"

"I have to go," my friend said, giving me another hug. "You're going to do so well, I believe in you!"

I took a deep breath for my nerves and entered the white tent stationed near the Quidditch field, where we were competing. The tent served as a waiting area and a hospital wing, and I was scared that I might actually need it.

Anxiety bubbling deep in my stomach, I approached Harry slowly. "I just wanted to say good luck."

"You too," he said curtly, walking away quickly.

"Champions, gather round!" yelled Madam Hooch, suddenly inside of the tent with a small bag. "It is time for you to choose the dragon you will battle. Inside of this bag, there are miniature model of the dragons. You will draw from the bag, and, depending on the number on the bottom of your model and which model you get, you will battle that dragon. Your objective is simple: steal the golden egg from the dragon without harming anybody, including yourself, the dragon, and the audience."

Viktor Krum drew first.

"A Hungarian Horntail," Madam Hooch said to him. "You'll be competing first."

Cedric grabbed a Swedish Short-Snout, earning the third battle. Fleur would go second against the Common Welsh Green dragon. Harry ended up with a Chinese Fireball, and he was going fourth. That left me to go fifth against the Romanian Longhorn.

I waited in fear as the other Champions fought their dragons. Eventually, it was my turn.

I ran onto the field, fear spreading through me as I came face-to-face with a dark green dragon. It had two yellow horns, sharp enough to stab through a person. Its tail, covered in grey spikes that only added to my fear, whipped towards me. When its face turned in my direction, I noticed how red its eyes were, making the dragon look angry and colourful.

I looked around frantically for the golden egg I was supposed to grab. A flash of colour, reflecting from the sun, hit my eye when I spotted my target. As soon as I started moving, though, the dragon roared, sending more fear through me.

"Augamenti Ultimenda!" I yelled, pointing my wand at the dragon. Bright blue water shot from my wand, splashing against the dragon's scaly back. I moved the stream of water, and the dragon followed, enjoying the coldness of it. Keeping my wand in place, I made my way towards the nest. I watched the dragon as it bounded around under the water, rolling around, drinking, and shaking its body in the blue liquid.

I grabbed the egg, and ran, pocketing my wand only when I reentered the tent. I was paused by the other champions waiting eagerly in front of me.

"In fifth place, we have Fleur Delacour, with twenty-five points. In fourth, Cedric Diggory, who earned thirty-eight points. Tied for third and second, we have Viktor Krum and Harry Potter, both with forty points. Finally, in first place, Y/n Potter. Potter did an outstanding job of distracting the dragon," yelled the announcer, "and receiving the egg, all without even being touched! Y/n has earned fifty out of fifty points!"

I smiled at that statement and Cedric congratulated me. Star ran into the tent to give me a hug before she got in trouble for entering.

~~~

One day in potions, towards the end of the class, Snape moved all of the desks to the side of the dungeons and had us all gather around him.

"The Yule Ball is approaching. It is a traditional dance of the Triwizard Tournament, and an opportunity for us to socialise with our foreign guests. Now, the ball will be open only to fourth year and above, although you may invite a younger student if you wish. Dress robes will be worn, and the ball will start at eight o'clock on Christmas Day, finishing at midnight in the Great Hall. This ball does not mean that rule-breaking will go unpunished. Do you understand?"

There was a chorus of yes's, and after a quick slow dancing tutorial, the class was dismissed.

"Potter Twins, please come here."

I froze and walked back to Snape, nervous. Harry turned as well, fear evident.

"It is tradition that the Champions open the party with a dance, one with their partners. It is important that you both find a partner to dance with, at least for the beginning."

"Yes, sir," I said calmly, turning on my heel so leave for my next class.

I found Star and we sat down together. Immediately, I explained the deal with the Yule Ball and the opening dance.

"That's easy," she answered. "Just take Draco."

"Why would I do that? He probably doesn't even want to go, and if he did, why with me?" I said, laughing it off.

"You would rather go with someone you kind of know than someone you don't talk to at all, right? You should at least ask him."

"I guess it's worth a shot," I responded.