chapter twenty-four

Harry close behind me, I walked into Snape's office for our Occlumency lesson. I shut the door and walked towards the chairs Snape was pointing a seat, the three of us sitting down in awkward silence.

"Well, you two know why you're here," Snape said. "You're to learn Occlumency."

"Yes, sir."

"As I told you back in Sirius Black's kitchen, this branch of magic seals the mind against magical intrusion and influence."

"Why does Professor Dumbledore think that we need to learn this, sir?" Harry asked.

"Surely you could have figured that out, Potter. The Dark Lord is highly skilled in Legilimency, the ability to extract feelings and memories from another person's mind. Before you interrupt, Potter," Snape added, noticing my brother's urge to speak, "no, it is not mind-reading. The mind is not a book for one to read. However, when one is as skilled as the Dark Lord in an ability such as this, they are able to delve into one's mind and interpret their feelings correctly."

"What does this have to do with us, sir?" Harry interrupted.

"Do you ever think before you speak, Potter? Occlumency is the ability to block out Legilimens and shut down those feelings and memories."

That made me think of something. "Does that mean that Voldemort--"

"Do not speak his name," Snape interjected.

"Does that mean that the Dark Lord," I said, "would be able to see into our thoughts whenever he wanted?"

"Ideally, no, but it seems that the two of you have a knack for doing things that shouldn't be possible. Evidence suggests that, at times when your mind is most vulnerable and relaxed, like when you're sleeping, you are sharing the Dark Lord's thoughts and emotions. That is why you must learn to block the Dark Lord from your mind."

"But why does Dumbledore want to stop that?" Harry looked at me for help, but continued on when I didn't do anything. "Sure, we don't enjoy it, but it's been helpful, hasn't it? Without it, Mr Weasley would be dead."

"The Dark Lord has only recently realised that there is a connection between your thoughts and his. Professor Dumbledore believes that the Dark Lord will take advantage of this connection and possibly feed you incorrect feelings that work for his benefit."

"So he'll make us do things?"

"Yes. That brings us back to Occlumency. Stand up and take out your wands," Snape said, doing exactly as he told us to. "You may use your wands to defend yourself or disarm me."

"What are you going to do?" Harry asked.

"I am going to use Legilimency to break into your minds," Snape answered. "We shall see how well the two of you resist. Legilimens!"

The office around me vanished, instead being replaced by memories. First, I was sitting with Harry, jealously watching Dudley open his birthday presents. The area changed, and I looked down at my brother, climbing up the tree I was in. Another change, and I was seeing myself crying on the first day of Hogwarts. Next, I was in the Chamber of Secrets, holding a bloodied sword, and then I was spinning in silk dress robes, staring into Draco's eyes and dancing at the Yule Ball.

Suddenly, the memories stopped, and Harry was on his knees, holding his wand. Snape was rubbing his wrist in pain.

"Did you mean to produce a Stinging Hex?"

"No," Harry said angrily, standing up.

"You lost control. For a first attempt, that went better than it could have, although you both require practise. Close your eyes, and clear your mind."

I took a deep breath, closed my eyes, and tried clearing my mind. I let go of any emotion I held onto.

It took a moment or two for Snape to be satisfied with Harry, but he eventually cast the spell to enter our minds.

I was back in the Hospital Wing, looking down at Draco and Madame Pomfrey cared for his arm. When the area changed, I was holding onto Draco and Star at the Quidditch World Cup while the Dark Mark blazed above us. The surroundings changed again, but this time, I saw nothing, only a foggy grey.

I was drawn from the fog as Harry cried out.

"Stand up, Potter. You are not trying!"

"I am making an effort," he choked out, standing.

"Well, it's not enough," Snape said, pausing. "I will see you next Wednesday for another lesson. Every night, I want you to clear your mind of emotion before sleeping. You are free to go, Potter."

Harry and I turned around to leave.

"Y/n, stay back, please."

Confused, I walked back towards Snape. "Yes, sir?"

"You were able to block out the Legilimens spell for a small amount of time. Please work with your brother about that. Also, do yourself a favour and keep everything between you and Mr Malfoy platonic, even if that. He is not someone you will not want to be involved with in these next years."

"May I ask why?"

"That something you should ask Mr Malfoy. You are excused."

~~~

I walked through the halls, listening to the giggling and soft voices of the other students roaming the castle. Every time I came close to the students, they would grow silent in fear of my Prefect and Inquisitorial Squad badges. I could get them in trouble if I had wished, but that wasn't necessary. The other students were only having fun.

My mind suddenly drifted to Snape's warning about Draco. What did he mean by what he said? Why wouldn't I want to be around Draco in the future?

My initial reaction was to ask Draco, but would he tell me what that meant? Did he even know? What if he couldn't tell me? Was he in trouble, or could he put me in trouble with whatever Snape was talking about?

"Hey, Y/n."

Pulled out of my thoughts, I turned around to face Draco. I smiled briefly, but my worries came flooding back. I hadn't come to a decision about what the best thing to do about Snape's warning was.

Draco and I fell in step, walking through the halls. Neither of us spoke, which let the thoughts continue to race through my head.

"Is everything okay?"

"Why do you ask?" Draco answered, voice calm.

"Snape said something to me earlier that made me wonder."

"When did you see Snape after classes?"

"Just now," I said, thinking quickly. "I had to help my brother do Remedial Potions."

"Oh, man. At least he's getting the tutoring he needs," Draco responded. Realisation flashed through his eyes. "That was uncalled for, I'm sorry. To answer your question, I'm okay. Things are just rough at home."

"Do you want to talk about it?" I asked without thinking. I wanted to help ease his pain, even though I wasn't totally sure why.

Draco stopped walking, deep in thought. "I can't," he eventually said.