chapter twenty-nine

The week before school began, we went to Diagon Alley to get our supplies.

I was walking mostly alone, going in and out of shops and messing around with Fred and George at their new joke shop. I saw a group of three blondes walking past the window, and, recognising Star and Draco, I ran after them. They turned down Knockturn Alley, a street dedicated to the Dark Arts.

They turned a corner and entered a shop called Borgin and Burkes, and as I was about to step into the store, I noticed Harry, Ron, and Hermione run behind me. I followed them, climbing the roof behind them. I looked through a window, surprised to see Draco, Star, Narcissa, Bellatrix, and another Death Eater I didn't recognise.

Ron pulled out a small box. "Extendable Ears!" He began passing them out, but one fell, and I caught it. I put it next to the window, and I was able to hear the conversation inside.

"Extend your left arm," said Bellatrix. She turned to the Death Eater I didn't know and said, "Do it, Greyback."

Greyback threw something into a large cauldron and everything went up in thick, green smoke.

When the smoke cleared, Draco and Star were lying on the ground, unconscious. Their arms were covered again, and their faces showed that they were obviously in pain.

I pulled out the Extendable Ear and got down from the window. I walked into the shop casually, planning to look around until my friends came out from the back.

After just about five minutes, I heard a door close and turned around. Star and Draco both stumbled out, very pale and shaken. I waved at them and Star weakly acknowledged it, but Draco walked straight to the front office to talk to the shopkeeper, Borgin.

"... you know how to fix it?" Draco said.

"Possibly," answered Borgin. "I'll need to see it, though. Why don't you bring it into the shop?"

"I can't, it has to stay put. I just need you to tell me how to do it."

I saw Borgin lick his lips nervously. "Well, without seeing it, I must say it will be a very difficult job, perhaps impossible. I couldn't guarantee anything."

"You know Fenrir Greyback? He's a family friend, he'll be dropping in from time to time to make sure you're giving the problem your full attention."

"There will be no need for--"

"I'll decide that,' said Draco. "Well, I'd better be off. And don't forget to keep that one safe, I'll need it."

"Perhaps you'd like to take it now?"

"No, of course, I wouldn't, you stupid little man, how would I look carrying that down the street? Just don't sell it."

"Of course not, sir."

"Not a word to anyone, Borgin, understand?"

"Naturally," murmured Borgin. Draco turned around, facing me. His angry expression softened, and he walked out of the shop with me.

As soon as we were out of Borgin and Burkes, he enveloped me with a tight hug. The tension he was holding onto seemed to leave and he relaxed. I smiled softly into his shoulder, not wanting to let go.

When I pulled away from the hug, we began walking towards the Robe shop, talking about our holidays. Neither of us had much to say.

"Welcome to Madam Malkins' Robes for All Occasions!" someone called out as well entered.

A lady walked over to us and led us to a little stand.

"Ah, I see, two robes?" she said.

"Yes, Ma'am," I said.

"Miss Potter," shouted the woman, "please come to this stand!"

I walked over to her, leaving Draco. He was soon called to the stand next to me, and another worker began fitting him for his robes.

"Lift your sleeve, please."

I lifted it as the other worker told Draco the same thing.

"Lift your sleeve, please--"

"No! I-I can't," he stammered. "Can you just do the whole thing without me having to lift up my sleeve?"

"Yes, sir."

I looked at Draco, my expression showing my confusion. He shook it off, and I did too. It was probably nothing.

~~~

I placed my trunk on the overhead rack and sat down in the empty compartment I had found. Star's familiar voice sounded from within the hallway and I jumped out of the compartment to show her where to go. I unconsciously smiled when I saw Draco walking behind her.

Just as we were sitting down, a student came into our compartment. "Professor Slughorn would like for Y/n Potter to come to his compartment for a lunch meeting."

She left, and I stood up to find the Professor's compartment. When I found it, I entered to see a large group of other students. Harry, Ginny, and Blaise Zabini had turned to look at me.

"Ah, finally, your twin," said Horace Slughorn to Harry as I walked in. "Y/n Potter! Please, have a seat."

I sat at the table, leaving the food provided untouched.

"The lot of you are invited to the Slug Club, as it is called. It is a group of some of the best students at Hogwarts."

Slughorn went on to explain his club, but I ignored his words. Eventually, we were released, and I went back to my compartment.

~~~

The train slowed, coming to a stop. Star and I stood up to leave the compartment, but I waited when Draco didn't come with us.

"Are you coming?" I asked.

"I will. I have something to do first," Draco said. When I stayed in the compartment, he shut the door behind us, confusing me. He pulled his wand out and shot a spell at one of the luggage racks.

"Didn't anyone ever teach you that it's not nice to eavesdrop, Potter?" he said. "Petrificus totalus!"

Harry crashed to the ground, stiff. The Invisibility Cloak fluttered off of him.

"What the hell was he doing in here?" I asked Draco.

"I don't know." He rolled Harry onto his back and stepped on his nose, breaking it with a loud crunch. "You should mind your manners, Potter, and stay in your own compartment. Have fun going back to London!"

Draco led me out of the compartment, and, ignoring my guilt, I followed him.