chapter twenty-one

I walked through the fifth-floor corridor, Prefect badge shining bright on my chest so I had an excuse for why I was here. I stopped in front of a large tapestry and knocked three times on the door, which blended in with the wall. It opened barely a foot and I slipped in, unnoticed.

The room was very large, with lots of space for practising spells and duelling. Hermione, Ron, and Harry were standing in the middle, waiting for everyone to arrive. I joined them in the center, avoiding my brother's looks.

Soon, the room was filled with students from the meeting. We greeted them awkwardly and stood around, waiting for someone to say something.

"I think we need a name for this group," Harry suggested, ending the silence.

"Can we be the Anti-Umbridge League?" asked a Gryffindor.

"Or the Ministry of Magic Are Morons Group?" added Fred Weasley.

"The Defense Association?" someone else mentioned. "The D.A. for short, so nobody knows what we're talking about?"

"Yeah, the D.A.'s good," I answered. "We should make it stand for Dumbledore's Army because that's the Ministry's worst fear, isn't it?"

Hermione pinned the paper with everyone's name on it up on a board and wrote Dumbledore's Army across the top of it.

"Right," I said, "shall we get to practising, then? I was thinking, we should start with Expelliarmus, you know, the Disarming Charm."

"Oh, please," interrupted a sassy Hufflepuff, rolling his eyes. "I don't think Expelliarmus is exactly going to help us against You-Know-Who, do you?"

"I've used it against him," said Harry quietly. "It saved my life last June."

Harry's word shut up the Hufflepuff, and I took over again.

"I think we should all divide into pairs and practice," I said and watched as the crowd dispersed and people paired up. "Alright, on the count of three, shoot your spell at your partner. One, two, three!" I shouted.

The room was suddenly filled with shouts of "Expelliarmus", sending wands in all directions. I dodged the wands as they flew about. I was still standing in the middle of the room, meaning I was in the center of the although I was alone now since the others had gone to practise as well.

I watched Neville, a Gryffindor,  shoot a spell at Harry. His wand flew into the air, causing Neville to yell excitedly. I grinned at his giddiness.

I began walking around, checking on students' forms and helping them to project their spell. Eventually, I checked the time and realised it was ten already. Harry and I got everyone's attention and the spells stopped flying.

"That was better! Now, I'm afraid we're out of time, so does next Wednesday sound good?" I said. " Be careful going out. Try not to be caught by Filch or anyone! Also, go out in small groups, that way it's less suspicious!"

The students walked out of the Room of Requirements slowly and carefully, heeding my advice. Once everyone else was gone, I exited the room and walked to the Slytherin House casually. My Prefect badge still gleamed on my chest, protecting me from punishment.

"Y/n? Where were you?"

I turned and saw Draco sitting on the couch by the fire.

"Oh, uh, walking the halls," I responded, thinking on the spot as I took a seat next to him.

"No, you weren't. I checked with Snape, and he said that he didn't see any Slytherin Prefects in the halls."

"He probably just didn't see me," I shrugged. "Why do you need to know where I was, anyway?"

"I wanted to talk to you."

"Oh, well, I'm here now if you still want to talk."

He hesitated for a moment, wondering whether or not he should actually say something. I looked at him, noticing for the first time his distinct features. His silver eyes, usually emotionless and cold, darted around quickly, revealing an amount of Draco's thoughts. His lips, small and pink, were turned down in a frown, and something about his face made him look so sad, as if he had never known what true happiness was.

"It's nothing," he said, drawing me from my thoughts. Our eyes connected, and for a brief moment, I stared into his sad, grey eyes, fleeting thoughts and feelings flooding through me like a waterfall.

"Is everything okay?" Draco asked, once again sending me back into reality. "You seem distracted."

"Yeah, I'm okay," I answered. "What about you?"

A wave of sadness flushed over Draco's eyes again, and he looked away from me. "I'm fine." He stood up and walked away from the couch. "I'm going to sleep. Goodnight, Y/n."

~~~

Umbridge's high-pitched voice screeched throughout the room as I sat with Draco and Star, as well as other Slytherins.

"The Inquisitorial Squad," she squeaked, "is a group of students who are to assist in keeping order in Hogwarts. You will have similar jobs as Prefects, but with more benefits."

With every word, I regretted agreeing to join.

"Before I explain, I would like to thank you for signing up. This group has potential," she droned on, "to make Hogwarts have the best year it has ever seen. Now, back to the benefits. By joining the Inquisitorial Squad, you will be able to deduct or add House points to other students for their behaviour, give out detentions, and there are certain Educational Decrees that you will not have to follow. I will also award ten extra points on your next Defense Against the Dark Arts exam."

"It sounds like a great program," Star whispered to me, giggling, "but I can't get over her voice."

"In order to remain part of the Inquisitorial Squad, you will have to follow a few rules. One, your grades must remain above E's at all times," Umbridge said. "You must follow all of the Educational Decrees unless told otherwise. And, finally, if you are caught breaking any of the Decrees, you will be asked to leave the group."

"Thank you for attending this meeting," Umbridge finished. "I will send out your Inquisitorial Squad badges shortly.