Chapter 8

Date: 10/3/2020

An: Arthit! Our baby is so brave, suffering like this at this crazy author's hands. Hang in there baby, I promise to make everything right!

_______________________________________________________________________________

Arthit had just finished his second shift at the diner and was returning to his apartment when he noticed a long black unmarked limousine parked outside the building. All the residents were peering through their windows and some had come out to stare and gossip about the car and who it was meant for. Arthit may have been surprised by such a flashy car being in his dingy neighborhood but being the aloof one, he was not interested in such trivia. He had work to catch anyway. He worked nights at 7/11 around the corner and if he stays and chatted he would definitely be late. However, as he walked further, the back door of the car opened, blocking his way. Arthit still didn't think anything of it and was about to go around it when a posh voice stopped him.

"Get in," the woman said. That's when Arthit leaned in to see an old classily dressed woman gesturing him to take a seat beside her. The young man had no idea who this was or why she would ask him to get in the car with her. But Arthit was no fool, he knew this woman was one with immense power and also had an inkling of what or who this might be about. Nevertheless, he hesitated, getting into closed spaces with people of power never felt like a safe thing to do. Looking at the expectant expression on the lady's face, though, Arthit gave in and entered. There was nothing in his life that he could lose anyway, considering he had lost the most precious person to someone else, just a few days ago. It hurt Arthit to admit that although Kongpob had visited him the night of the wedding, he had not contacted him in any way since. It had been almost ten days. His heart suddenly clenched with pain that was now slowly becoming familiar.

Once he settled in the seat beside the lady, Arthit was asked to close the door and the car started moving. It was a few minutes of uncomfortable silence, as Arthit tried to gauge the mood and decide what to expect. He knew for sure by now that this was related to Kongpob. The younger man had often talked about his grandma and this woman fit the bill. But it was also unlikely that such a woman of high stature would seek him out. She sounded like a woman who would rather send her minions to take care of business, in this case, him. Arthit had barely decided on what this was about when the woman spoke, "What do you have to offer him?"

Arthit didn't expect pleasantries to be exchanged after his polite Waii was not even acknowledged but the question still surprised him. He swallowed and replied in the only way he could, with complete honesty, "Only myself."

The lady was not even looking at Arthit. She was staring ahead, her eyes dead of emotions. The sound-proof barrier between the driver and the backseats was already up. The car was moving,  but the Engineering dropout felt like it didn't have a specific destination and was just going in circles.

"Do you think that's enough?" Arthit just sniffled but didn't say anything. This is when the lady actually turned to look at him. The young man didn't reply because he honestly did not know the answer. The lady must have seen the uncertainty in his eyes as she said, "My grandson believes it's enough."

Arthit snorted, "He thinks and believes a lot of things. They are not always realistically true. He hasn't seen life the way I have."

"Hmm..So you don't think if Kongpob was to offer you only himself, you would be happy to grab the opportunity?"

Arthit's head snapped up at the question. Oh, how he wished Kongpob could do just that. How he wished his nong was by his side right now rather than being married to the daughter of some business tycoon.

Grandma felt something strange stir in her heart as she saw a fleet of emotions play across Arthit's face and eyes. There was surprise, curiosity, relief, sadness and behind all this was a constant layer of longing. The young man in front of her surely craved for her grandson, wanted him so deeply that it made her own chest hurt. Seemed like Arthit wore his heart on his sleeves. If only Kongpob had introduced this sincere man to her long back...

"Well?"

Arthit's eyes dropped as he tried to swallow the thick lump in his throat, "I will be happy, eager even. I will grab at it and never let go if I could do things my way."

"Are you saying you could take care of him..if he didn't have anything but the clothes on his back?"

"I am saying..If Kongpob was with me ..together we could do anything."

The grandma nodded, "Hmm.. why didn't you?"

Arthit closed his eyes as if the pain he felt in his chest was burning them. He shook his head. "Because...No matter how happy we are, how content.. there will come a day when he will regret choosing me over his family or choosing in the first place."

Grandma lowered the barrier and knocked twice of the glass. The two didn't speak a word but the young man felt the scrutinizing gaze of the immaculately dressed woman on him. A few minutes later the car stopped, but Arthit didn't realize where they were. That's when the woman opened a small cabinet in front of her seat and took out a bottle of pink-milk.

Handing the bottle to Arthit, she pressed the button that opened Arthit's side of the door. "Your destination is here. I hope you are not too late." The man looked out and realized they were indeed in front of the 7/11. He got down immediately and closed the car door. He stared at the car until it disappeared from his view. The last words from Kongpob's Nana kept ringing in his ears. He didn't know if she meant the supermarket or his life. In both cases, Arthit too hoped he was not too late.

______________________________________________________________________

AN: What did you think? Don't forget to vote and comment! 

Toodloos my lovelies!