14. Gᴇɴᴇʀᴀʟ Pʀɪɴᴄɪᴘʟᴇ Oғ Kɪɴᴅɴᴇss

"I don't think the kind of friends I'd have would mind."

~Allison Reynolds~

__________________

"I didn't have anything better to do."

Everyone sat in silence staring at the reclusive boy before Michelle broke out in laughter.

"You're fucking crazy," she said in between laughs and the others soon joined her with their own amusement. "It's true!" Ned clutched to his stomach laughing as he defended himself.

And for a moment, it seemed as though the world was calm. As if a heavy weight was lifted off their shoulders as they chatted and laughed like normal people. Like friends.

That was until Ned spoke again, asking the question that formulated in all their minds.

"So umm... I was just thinking. I know it's kind of a weird time, but I was just wondering, um, w-what's gonna happen to us on Monday? When were all together again? I mean I consider you as my friends... I'm not wrong am I?"

There was no answer for a second, because no one was sure how to. Then Betty—who took his words into consideration—replied, shaking her head. "No, you're not."

"So, on Monday, what happens?"

Liz tilted her head to look over at him and asked, "Are we still friends you mean?"

"Yeah"

"You want the truth?" Ned looked at her and nodded with a sparkle of hope in his eyes. "I don't think so." Ned turned his head down after her hurtful words. The hope disappearing.

Betty glared at her supposed friend, "With all of us?"

Liz looked at her with slight regret, but forced herself to reply. "With all of you."

Flash rolled his eyes at his socially equal peer and spat, "That's a real nice attitude, Liz."

"Oh be honest with yourself Flash," she stated pointedly at him, "If Ned came up to you in the halls on Monday, what would you do? You know exactly what you'd do: say hi to him and when he leaves, you'd cut him off completely so those dumb jocks don't think you really liked him. And I bet you wouldn't even tell them you're friends with Peter again and do the same thing to him."

"No way," Flash said as he shook his head. He didn't want that to happen, but he knew there was some truth to the scenario Liz laid out.

"And what if I came up to you," Michelle asked sarcastically. Liz pursed her lips, then responded, "The same exact thing."

Michelle clenched her fist and lurched forward, but still remained in her spot. "YOU. ARE. A. BITCH!"

Liz turned to her, eyes widening in shock, "Why, cause I'm telling the truth? That makes me a bitch?"

"No, because you know how shitty that is to do to someone and you don't got the balls to stand up to your friends and tell them they can't decide who you want to be seen with."

"But what about you, you hypocrite," she shouted back, "Why don't you take Betty to a party with you? Or bring Ned and Peter to the parking lot to get high? Or go bowling with Flash?" The jock scoffed at that knowing neither actually liked that activity.