2. Fʀɪᴇɴᴅʟʏ Dᴇᴛᴇɴᴛɪᴏɴ Hᴀʟʟ

"And when I say 'essay', I mean essay. I do not mean a single word repeated a thousand times."
~Richard Vernon

_________________________________

The group of teens were told ahead of time to meet in the school's library. They all arrived there separately at their own pace.

Midtown high's library was probably the most exquisite thing about the school, other than the large bell tower. It was grand with two floors of books. The lower floor held eight large rectangular tables you'd usually find in the science classrooms. There were a few other smaller and round tables scattered around. This floor was used for studying or sometimes even holding classes. In the middle right behind the large tables was a shapeless statue reaching up as high as the second floor.

Spiral staircases lead up to the second floor. The top area of the library held more bookcases and lots of small couches and arm chairs. The area had been used as a free space to read or relax. The top floor also held a mini computer lab, while the bottom held the library check out and a small office.

Sitting behind the first large table on the right side was Liz. She wasn't surprised as she was always first to enter. She checked the area for anything interesting, or maybe she was just scanning for an exit. Her mind wasn't made up. All she knew was she had no enthusiasm being there, and that she shouldn't even be there in the first place. She grumbled before sitting her self in proper posture. Her hands were folded together and placed neatly on top of the table. Her lips compressed and eyes attentive, in hopes her good behavior just might be her liberator.

Almost as soon as Liz had situated herself, Ned entered the library. Ned didn't really care whether he got out of detention or not. Just as long as he didn't return home, he'd be fine. He avoided Liz's stare and just made his way to the last row of tables. He sat behind the table on the right side where Liz was as well. He sighed as he sat down and laid his head on the table, ignoring the world around him.

Peter was the next one to enter the library. He scanned the room trying to find anyone familiar, but found only the weird kid Sed (or something like that) and his ex crush, Liz Allen. Peter inwardly sighed. He slid into the right chair of the first table to the left. Peter would have sat in the back, but sitting in the front would most likely get him to a faster escape.

Flash arrived into a den of silence. Everyone already in the room was looking everywhere else but each other. Although it didn't bother the obnoxious rich boy as he was too angry to comprehend what was going on. His dad was getting on his last nerves, and he knew he'd explode soon. He was just hoping it wouldn't right be after he graduates high school, since the older male was also his ride through college. He acknowledged Liz with a simple nod, then sat in the same table as Peter. When Flash glanced at the quiet nerd, there was a feeling of hate that boiled between the two, but there was also a tinge of guilt on Flash's end.

The last person to enter the library was none other than Michelle Jones herself. Her entrance caused different expressions from everyone already there: a scowl was present on Liz's face, Flash shown disapproval, Peter looked nervous, and Ned just wasn't surprised. As Michelle entered she knocked over a bunch of bookmarks off a table next to the entrance. She didn't care of the recklessness that followed her every movement. Nor the glares and stares she got. She found a spot in the table behind Peter and Flash, much to their disliking. Despite being in a skirt, Michelle placed her feet up onto the table, and put a pair of earbuds into her ears. She, just like Ned, still ignored everything around her as she was too busy jamming out to whatever she was listening to.

After a few minutes, the large door slamming open grabbed the attention of the teenagers. In walked the man they all dreaded: Principal Harrington.

"Well, well, you made it. Congratulations ragamuffins, for making it on time," the man said in a patronizing manner. "It is now 7:06," Mr Harrington lifted up his hand to scan his watch. "You have exactly eight hours and fifty-four minutes to think about WHY you're here—ponder the errors of your ways."

Flash looked bored. Liz was rolling her eyes. Ned laid his head down once more. Michelle tilted her head to spit her gum up and back into her mouth. And Peter glanced at her questioningly.

Just as Liz was about to protest, Mr. Harrington spoke. "You will not speak," he said directing to Liz who just crossed her arms grumbling. "You will not move from these seats." Hearing that, Ned stopped himself from moving to the next seat. "And you," he now stomped over to Michelle. "-will not sleep," he continued pushing her legs off the desk top. Michelle eyed him annoyed. Mr. Harrington proceeded to rip the earbuds from her ears saying, "Neither will you listen to music."

"So, hand me your phones," he said looking at everyone. "But-" Flash stopped when he saw Mr. Harrington's glare. Reluctantly, they all handed their phones.

"Alright students, we're going to try something a little different today," he said once he gathered all the phones into the box he came in with. He also pulled out a few things from the box: paper and a pencils. "We are going to write an essay." He started handing out the equipment. "With no less than a thousand words. Describing to me who you think you are."

"Is this a test?" Michelle asked unamused. "And when I say 'essay', I mean essay," Mr. Harrington walked back over to the front. "I do not mean a single word repeated... a thousand times. Is that clear, Ms. Jones?" Michelle was now on the receiving end of a more spiteful glare from Mr. Harrington, that didn't go by unnoticed by everyone else. Michelle glared back, "Crystal." Her voice held a similar tone.

"Good, maybe you'll learn a little something... about yourself. MAYBE, you'll even decide whether or not you care to return." Mr. Harrington was now speaking towards everyone. Peter raised his hand shyly, "uh, you know I could answer that right now, sir. That'd be a n-no from me. Cause-" "Hand down, Parker." Peter obeyed, embarrassed.

"My office..." the principal pointed to the doors. "-is right across that hall. Any funny business is ill advised. Now, questions?" He asked aggressively. "Yeah, I have a question," Michelle's recognizable voice spoke. "Does Mr. Bean know you borrow his clothes," she remarked at his taste of fashion. The others quietly snickered.

The man was not amused. "I'll give you the answer to that question, Ms. Jones, next Saturday." They stopped giggling. "Mess with me, and face the consequences. You know that by now, Ms. Jones." Just as Mr. Harrington was about to leave, the entrance door opened once more. A new face walked in looking as glum as the others. She was short and blonde, and confused as to why everyone was staring at her.

"Glad to see you can finally make it Ms. Brant. Now join everyone else and find a seat." The girl who had walked in was known as Betty Brant. The school's own news reporter. She occupied the table right behind Liz, waving "hello" at the aforementioned girl.

Once Mr. Harrington finally exited the library, Michelle spoke out again. "That man... is a sadist." The others had silently agreed.

__________________________________

A/N: And that's the end of that chapter, folks! I hope you liked it. Comment and vote, and all that other shit. Also, to rid of any confusion, in my story I used the former principal Harrington from the comic books, NOT the MCU Mr. Harrington. So imagine someone older and bigger and with a receding hairline.