8. Sᴄɪɴᴛɪʟʟᴀ Oғ Sᴏʟɪᴄɪᴛᴜᴅᴇ

"You know, I have just as many feelings as you do and it hurts just as much when somebody steps all over them."

~Claire Standish~

_____________________

Michelle sat slump on the ground by one of the more hidden corners of the upper floor. With the cover of plentiful bookshelves, she felt safe. From the judgement and the mockery that was her life. She let out a deep sigh, dreaming—hoping for something more.

Then, about thirty seconds later, she heard a shuffling of feet heading towards her. She looked up from her frustration to meet the glorious brown eyes of Peter Parker.

"Did you come here to make fun of me too?" There was lingering spite in her words, although deep down she didn't mean it. At least not to him anyways.

Peter Parker has always been generous to Michelle. There was no mean bone in his body. Which is why she admired him. Because even through everything he's suffered at school, he seemed so strong willed. Keyword being seemed.

Peter stared down at her dejected figure sympathetically. "I just came to check up on you." And there was the Parker kindness she was so fond of. He moved forward, taking a seat beside her and back against the wall. He peered over to see her still staring down with contemplation.

Michelle sighed. She knew she was being a bit too harsh to him. After all, he wasn't the one to hurt her. "Sorry," her voice was meek and soft. Despite it, Peter offered her a warm smile. "It's okay. How are you feeling?"

She didn't know how to describe it. Ever since the death of her father, the world had become so unbearable. The more her mother pushed her aside; the more she acted out. And the more chaos she caused, people would never treat her kindly. Or give her the love she needed, the love she deserved. That's when Michelle thought it would be best to give up completely. Because if others declared there was no hope for her, then she'd have to realize that too.

Her feelings grew too explosive overtime that she became a hazard to herself as well. But if she were to describe to him what she truly felt at the moment, she would have to say: lost. Lost, and sad, and alone. As she's always been. And it seemed there was nothing going to change that.

So she wracked her brain, trying to think of a good lie. Maybe even a sarcastic comment to throw him off, but as she looked up into those russet hues, she couldn't find it in her. There was something so compelling about them, about him. She gulped.

"If I say yes, I'd be lying," she told him honestly. "Then say no," he replied. "But if I said that, you wouldn't stop bothering me." Peter chuckled quietly, "I wouldn't stop either way, so what? Life's unfair, get over it."

Michelle rose a brow at his mocking tone, "You know, being ruthless doesn't suit you." "Oh really? Well then, what does, Ms-I'm-Mean-So-I-Know-Everything?" She scoffed at that, "You do realize how ridiculous you sounded just then, right?" He shrugged in response, "I-I did, but I was hoping you were gonna ignore me like usual."

"When have I ever ignored you," she asked mocking defense. "All the time!" Her lips turn up a little, smiling in amusement. "Well I don't know what you're talking about, I'm a nice person." It was now Peter's turn to scoff in disbelief, but he smiled back despite. Michelle averted her eyes, a light blush painting her face.