13. Dʏsғᴜɴᴄᴛɪᴏɴᴀʟ Vᴀʟᴜᴇ

"When I look in at myself, you know... And I see me, I don't like what I see."

~Brian Johnson~

________________

"And so he...so after he realized part of his sleeve caught on fire, the man dashed out the door screaming bloody murder with Harrington chasing after his ass throughout the whole building," Michelle recounted to the others the tale of how she ended up in detention this time. Howls of laughter erupted when she finished as they tried to imagine the scene.

It was about three hours until their punishment would end and all of them were sprawled on the floor of the second level of the library, most leaning by the stairs and the railing. Whereas Peter and Michelle had their backs on two pillars facing across each other. Michelle sighed in content after the laughter died down.

For a minute, she contemplated before opening her mouth again to reveal her thoughts. "You know, I'm still trying to figure out what the hell you all did to get into detention," she peered at them with a raised brow. The other teens paused then looked around each other, waiting for someone to start. But there was nothing.

In the midst of the awkward silence, Betty decided to speak out first. "I punched Brad Davis in the face."

She had said so bluntly making everyone's eyes turn to her with Michelle smirking in approval. "THAT WAS YOU?!?" Flash asked in surprise. Betty blushed in embarrassment, but nodded and looked down. She found her fingers being the most fascinating thing, trying not to meet their shocked reactions.

"Why?" Betty briefly halted, then finally shared what had happened. "Well you know the guy's an asshole," Betty began, making them all nod in agreement—even Ned who had only ever encountered the said boy once. "It's cause I filmed something I probably shouldn't have and tried exposing him, but he caught up to me threatening me if I didn't stay quiet. And I didn't like how he was acting or the way he grabbed me... so I punched him."

That story had everyone amazed the typically kind girl, and Michelle held more respect for her. Brad Davis was an asshole who shamelessly flirted with every girl in sight, including herself. He definitely deserved what happened. She was just a tad bit sad she couldn't do the honor herself.

"What about you, Princess," Michelle tauntingly asked Liz, but the girl only ignored her insult. "I ditched school to go hangout at the mall with Drew, but he seemed to want to do more than hangout. I told him I didn't like him that way and before anything else could transpire, we were caught by one of my dad's friends."

"That's it," Michelle asked, "That's so lame."

Liz rolled her eyes before continuing to clarify, "The reason I did it was because I was just tired of people telling me how to live my life. I wanted the chance to rebel and the opportunity presented itself right there. Guess it didn't end up the way I wanted it to."

Flash was now the one to mock her, "I have to agree with Michelle on this one. That's not even close to bizarre."

Michelle then turned to him, "What do you know about being bizarre?"

Eugene tilted his head up to see their questioning gazes. "Do you know what I did to get in here," he asked them. But they all shook their heads in response. He sighed then. "I taped Ethan Nelson to the school wall buck naked." Ethan Nelson was another one of Brad Davis' lackeys—who, in retrospect, was just as bad as him. Maybe even worse. He was also part of the school's soccer team that Flash had captained.