22. Interrogation

Start from the beginning

  The Gemini Zodiac stepped inside and crossed her arms. "Jaxson," she practically hissed. I don't think it was meant to be a hiss, but then again, Char hissed the first time I met him. Was hissing a Gemini thing?

  Jaxson groaned as he stood from the chair. He tapped my shoulder before following the head Zodiac of his birth date down a hallway. Was the tap for courage? Was my nervousness showing?

  I noticed I was wringing my hands. I stopped immediately. That was a sign of guilt. I had nothing to be guilty of. I had escaped. I hadn't wanted to join their cause. I wanted to graduate and become a Zodiac.

  The Aquarius Zodiac was taking an awfully long time to walk in here. Did he forget about me? He couldn't have. A test of loyalty was required. He had to prove that I was still a Sign with a bunch of silly tests.

  The door opened slowly and he walked inside the waiting room. He looked extremely tired and worn down. I wonder what the two Zodiacs had been discussing outside.

  "Follow me." He waved his hand and turned around.

  I stood from the chair and followed him down a hallway opposite the one the two Geminis had gone down. "What exactly are we going to do?" I asked.

  He didn't answer me. That was kind of rude. I mean, I understood a little bit. If I was going to ask someone a billion questions nobody wanted to ask I wouldn't answer me either.

  He opened a thick wooden door and gestured for me to enter. I walked through the frame and instantly it felt like all of my energy was being sucked out of me. The door slammed shut behind me; he hadn't followed me.

  "Where did you go? Sir?" I called, pounding on the door with my fists.

  Something flicked on inside the room. I turned and saw a window that spanned the entire wall. A light buzzed as it turned on from the other side. The Aquarius Zodiac walked up to the window.

  "Please," he gestured to the only thing in the room -a chair, "sit. I'm sorry that we have to put you through this, but its protocol."

  What was protocol? He couldn't possibly mean this energy-draining feeling, could he? Whatever the reason, I sank into the chair gratefully.

  "You're feeling small discomfort from your powers being quelled. We have found that it gets you to answer things truthfully."

  It took me a few tries to open my eyes again from blinking. "Small... discomfort? I feel... as if my soul... is being drained out of my body," I said, my words tripping over my slow lips.

  I found it very frustrating. Probably more frustrating than anything I had found annoying before. How long was this going to take?

  "Ready, miss?"

  I lifted my eyes to look at the Zodiac. He looked uncomfortable. That made me angry, but there was nothing I could do at the moment. So I sat in the chair, my energy being leached from me, and seething.

  He started asking questions and I answered them. The nervousness I had before was gone. It was being replaced with my burning anger. I couldn't even place why I was being so irritable.

  His questions were simple. 'What did your captors look like,' 'did they mistreat you in any way?' They were all very stupid questions. How would they get any real information from people with lame questions like these?

  The Aquarius Zodiac tapped papers together on the desk on the other side of the window. He was writing the entire time we were in here. "We're finished here. Thank you for your cooperation." He smiled.

  I couldn't roll my eyes but if I could have, I would have. I might have done something else to show my irritation as well if I had the energy.

  The door opened. I couldn't look back. Whoever it was, they better not touch me. I'm so irritated I might bite them. Footsteps padded into the room with squeaky wheels following.

  The person put me into the wheelchair and wheeled me out of the room. Just leaving the room made me feel better. How could they put people through that? Was Jaxson okay? Did he have to go through the same thing?

  The waiting room came back into view and my energy had returned. I stood from the chair and thanked the person. It was a lady wearing a candy-striped outfit. That was odd.

  Jaxson was sitting in a chair. I assume he had waited for me. He didn't look tired at all. He looked perfectly normal.

  Were interrogations different for every sign?

  "Let's leave," Jaxson whispered.

  I nodded. He grabbed my arm and led me out of the Zodiac building. I wouldn't tell him how grateful I was for that. I was still kind of wobbly and walking around like a foal on their legs for the first time wasn't ideal.

^~^
Thanks for reading. Don't forget to vote. 🌟