Kuffy/Irby: Fur-Ever

The day I met her was the day my life truly began; she made every day a little brighter. I loved hanging out with her, snuggling with her, and just having her in my life.

I still remember seeing her, huddled inside a cage, looking around shyly. A brown tabby cat with white paws, and a soft meow to match her demeanor.

More importantly, I remember seeing the worker who was taking care of her.

"Hi, is she available for adoption? What's her name?" I asked the cute employee who was changing the cat's food and water bowls.

No response.

I cleared my throat a little and tried again. "Hi, I'm Iris. I'm really interested in adopting this cute--"

The worker whipped around, and her eyes met mine. They were a beautiful shade of bluish-green, much like the ocean. She smiled and shook her heading, signing something with her hands.

"I'm sorry, I'm deaf. My name is Libby. How can I help you?"

I mentally thanked my mom for making my brother and I take ASL classes at the library for the past few years.

"Hi, I'm Iris. I really wanted to adopt this cutie." I pointed to the tabby, smiling as she meowed.

"I'm sorry, I'm not up for adoption" Libby signed, smirking. "But thanks for calling me a cutie. I think you're really cute, too."

I fought the blush creeping up my cheeks and shook my head to protest, as I had been referring to the cat...

"I know you were referring to Cupcake," Libby continued. "I just really wanted an excuse to say that I think you're cute."

I giggled a little, loving the way Libby's eyes lit up when she grinned. Her strawberry-blonde hair was in a short, wavy bob that bounced when she giggled.

"Would you like to spend some time with Cupcake before adopting her?" Libby asked, already kneeling in front of the cage to coax her out of the corner.

I nodded excitedly, kneeling beside Libby to pat my knees and coax Cupcake towards us.

The cat shyly approached Libby and I, rubbing her face against Libby's knee and greeting me by licking my hand. I scooped her up and snuggled her to my chest, hearing her purrs grow louder as Libby lightly scratched her ears.

"I can't go home without her," I signed to Libby, much to her excitement.

"Perfect. We'll go inside and work on the paperwork. You'll just have to make sure to invite me over sometime...Y'know, so I can visit Cupcake..."

"Right," I replied. "I'll be sure to invite you over. Y'know, for Cupcake."

~

"She's absolutely perfect!" I screeched, much to my girlfriend's amusement. My girlfriend and I were at the animal shelter picking out a dog since we've been living together for a few months now. I was hoping to find a certain breed of dog; a golden retriever, strong and loyal, but Buffy said we'd know when we found the right dog.

We just found her.

A small, Australian Kelpie puppy with a shiny brown coat. She looked overjoyed to see us, pawing at the cage and begging to say 'hello' to us. There was an information packet next to her cage that Buffy picked up to read for us.

"Hi! My name is Apricot! I'm an Australian Kelpie, and I can't wait to find my fur-ever home. Kelpies are usually wary of strangers, but I love to meet new people. I am very intelligent, and like most Kelpies, I can learn just about any task or command! I require an active family--"