Wonah: Art Fair

I'm nervous about today, to say the least. All of my friends are coming to see my artwork at Shadyside's Annual Art Fair and Raffle. I'm not raffling off any of my artwork, mind you. I'm just nervous because a particular friend is coming to see my work...

Jonah Beck.

He's everything I think I ever wanted in a human. Does that even make sense? The tiniest little things he does leaves me with a racing heart and butterflies in my stomach. All of his friends kind of treat him like he's ditzy, but I think there's a lot more to Jonah than meets the eye.

Anyway, the reason I'm so nervous is that my art project revolves around friendship. I created charcoal and ink drawings of Andi, Buffy, and Cyrus all sitting in a booth at the spoon. I oil painted TJ and Cyrus sharing a kiss on the cheek as a rainbow illuminates the horizon. I have a photograph of Buffy and Marty hugging on the basketball court after a game, framed by a myriad of cool items I found while looking around town for lost items with Andi. There is one special picture that nobody yet knows about. It's a watercolor portrait of Jonah, and I brushed a pink, purple, and blue heart into the corner of the canvas by my signature.

I'm so proud of the outcome of my hard work, but could you blame me for being nervous? Jonah has no idea that I like him, nor that I even like guys. After all, I've only dated Buffy and Andi before. As soon as Jonah came out as bi, I got to work on this portrait.

I think I just feel nervous about how he'll respond to it...

You know what? I'm not going to show him. Forget it; it's too embarrassing. I don't want him to be creeped out or outright reject me if he figures out that I like him. I quickly grab the portrait of Jonah to shove it in my art bag, but TJ and Cyrus walk up to me in that moment, hand-in-hand.

"Walker, hi!" Cyrus squeals, voice three pitches higher than normal. I hide the portrait behind my back in a futile attempt at keeping it undiscovered. "I love this art fair so much. I'm in awe of your work, wow."

TJ grunts and he pulls Cyrus a little closer to him, but his eyes land on the oil painting of the two of them and the dark cloud leaves his face. "Hey, this is Cyrus and me! This looks incredible."

Cyrus is practically bouncing at this point. "When did you do this? I love it so much!" I can't help but laugh; Cyrus and TJ are the textbook definition of soulmates.

"I sketched it out while we were at The Spoon one day. You and TJ are just too cute to pass up!" Cyrus wraps his arms around TJ's neck and I feel a pang of jealousy. No, not of Cyrus and TJ per se. But...I want that with Jonah. I want Jonah and I to take cute photos at The Spoon and kiss on the cheek every chance we get. "Could I buy the piece from you?" TJ asks suddenly, and I'm jolted back to real life. I grin in response. "Well...I did say I wasn't going to sell artwork today. So how about it's yours as soon as the Art Fair is over?" TJ nods and thanks me warmly, and Cyrus pulls him away to go get ice cream.

I sigh in relief that neither boy asked about the portrait I held behind my back. That is until Cyrus pops up in front of me once more. "Uh, Walker...Bi the way, that's a great portrait of Jonah. He'll love it." I give Cyrus a half-smile and he's gone again, leaving me to my own thoughts.

Amber and Andi walker over to my station next, both of their faces a deep shade of blush. Jonah's two exes...who are now dating each other. This isn't weird, is it? "Hey, Ambi! Good to see you both here." Andi smiles in admiration at the photo of Marty and Buffy. "Hey, we found some of those frame items when we walked around Shadyside! I really like the way you implemented them." I nod gratefully. "Thanks, Andi."

Amber's eyes narrow as she realizes what's in my hand. "Is that a portrait of Jonah?" I swallow, thickly. "Uh, yeah, I-"

"It looks so great!" she exclaims, her tone genuine. "You really captured even the tiniest details. The little heart-shaped bi flag is such a cute touch. Jonah will love this." "Thank you, Amber, but I don't think I'll be showing Jonah today--or ever."

Amber and Andi look at me with twisted expressions, and just in the nick of time; Buffy and Marty stroll up to us side-by-side. "Yo!! Why the weird faces?" Marty asks, Buffy lightly smacking him on the arm in return. "Seriously, what's wrong?" Buffy asks. "Walker doesn't want to show Jonah this awesome portrait he did of him. We have no idea why," Andi explains.

Now Buffy and Marty have joined Andi and Amber in giving me weird, demanding expressions. "This looks so good, Walker!" Buffy exclaims. "Why wouldn't you want to show him?" "Guys, I'm...afraid he'll hate it and then reject me. Or...something like that." I finally say, my voice small with fear. "You like Jonah?" Andi asks, her voice laced with genuine surprise. I nod my head and the whole group smiles.

"You and Jonah would be so cute together!" Amber squeals, clapping her hands excitedly. "Sooo cuuute," Marty mocks. This earns another smack from Buffy. "Really, Walker. I think you're exactly who Jonah belongs with," Andi concludes. I smile warmly, but my expression is still riddled with anxiety. "It's all so sudden, you guys. I don't even know if he'd be into me 'like that'..."

"Why don't you just ask him yourself?" I hear from behind the group. Oh. Oh no.

"Jonah, hey!" I exclaim awkwardly, the rest of the group nervously dispersing and going to other art stations. "Hey," he responds coolly, his dimpled smile making my insides feel weak. "What's this?" he points to the portrait of himself.

"I...did this watercolor thing...and I love watercolor, so I wanted the subject to be really special. And I, um-" Jonah reaches for my hand and it silences me. "This looks amazing, Walker," he breathes out, eyes wide and cheeks flushed. "I can't believe you chose me of all people and things." "Of course I did," I reply shakily. "You're really special to me."

Jonah leans over and tentatively kisses my cheek. "You're really special to me," he says quietly. "Did you mean what you said to the group? About liking me but being afraid I wouldn't like you back?" I nod and Jonah hugs me, so tightly that it leaves me feeling dizzy in the best way possible. "I like you, Walker," he confirms. His green eyes meet my brown ones and it's art.

"I like you, Jonah..."

"You know," Jonah starts as our fingers intertwine. "I've written a song about you. I'll play it for you if you want to hear it sometime."

I nod my head almost too vigorously. Is this even happening right now? "How about after the Art Fair? We can go to Red Rooster Records...if you want." Jonah nods and kisses my nose. "It's a date--our first date, of many more to come."