Andi/Amber/Buffy & Tyrus: The Selection PT. 2

I awoke to warm, sun-soaked sheets covering my skin and the scent of fragrant flowers in the air. I exaggerated a yawn, stretching my entire torso and arms up while my fingertips lightly grazed the delicate white netting of my bed's canopy. I felt like, well...like, a princess. But that was totally not okay. I couldn't actually allow myself to dream of winning someone's heart, let alone a Crown Princess'. I mean, first of all, I don't think I could even like the Princess like 'that'.

Sure, she was beautiful. Stunning, really. And sure, she had the most graceful hands; I noticed them while she was eating her dinner. I also noticed the way her eyes lit up when she spoke to her parents, and to us. She explained that she was nervous someone was going to see her and run right out of the room because--I mean, you know. She's a she. But nobody ran. Most of the girls honestly just looked stunned, to be honest. Except for that Buffy girl. No, she looked purely devilish, like she had expected this. She was grinning wildly and nodding vigorously every time the Princess so much as cleared her throat. The Princess also had a close cousin who had come to live with the family during The Selection process to aid in the Princess' choosing, His Royal Highness Thelonious. It looked to me like His Royal Highness was too busy scarfing empty bread bowls and checking out the backsides of royal guards to be paying any mind to the ladies, though. I couldn't help but smile inwardly; Cyrus would totally think this dude's cute. With his coiffed blonde locks and steely gaze, Cyrus would absolutely melt like butter in the guy's hands.

Either way, I wasn't sure if this whole thing was going to work out with the Princess.

***

As my very own lady-in-waiting helped me bathe and get into a casual gown for breakfast, she went over the itinerary for the day. Breakfast at 8:30, then free time to explore or contact family until 10. The royal garden was off-limits, of course. After this, everyone would gather to meet personally with Princess Amber of Illea (and her cousin Thelonious). They could talk about themselves, their backgrounds, their aspirations, whatever they thought would impress the Princess most. As the lady droned on with the day's schedule, I rolled my eyes, despite my best efforts not to visibly show frustration. This competition thing was ridiculous. But that Buffy girl had apparently sparked something in me, a pang of--envy, was it?--darting across my body. She looked so sure of herself, so positive that Princess Amber was going to fall in love with her. Well, you want some competition?

May the best lady win.

***

I entered the dining room at 8:37, always a little bit late for everything I attended. The other girls were already sitting in their chairs, except there were only four of them today. Iris, an upbeat girl from Class 7, Buffy...the competitive girl from Class 8, a sweet girl from Class 10 who signed ASL with Amber during dinner last night named Elizabeth (I think she went by Libby?), and another Class 8 girl named Ronnie. Buffy squinted her eyes at me accusingly, presumably for coming late. But Amber smiled warmly and motioned for me to sit by her and the other girls, so of course I did as was asked. I couldn't believe there are only five of us left, and it's barely Day 2.

I bowed to Princess Amber, who blushed furiously and lifted my head with her finger. Her touch was delicate, and it sent shivers throughout my core. "Good morning, Miss Andi. Running a bit late today, aren't we?"

I stammered out an apology, but Amber only giggled in response. I could see Buffy rolling her eyes in my peripheral vision. All it did was egg me on harder, though. "You see, Princess Amber, I needed extra time to look presentable enough for you. I still appear to fall short though..."

Princess Amber bit the bait, pushing me playfully with her hand. "Miss Andi, quit! You look absolutely marvelous--" she paused for a moment, looking around the table at the other ladies. "--as do all of you, ladies. Everyone just looks fantastic. Now...let's, ah, let's eat!"

I took a seat a couple chairs down from Princess Amber, as although the King and Queen were not present, Buffy had taken the chair to Amber's right, and Libby was on her left so they could sign. Iris had patted the seat next to her, gazing at me longingly. Did I have something in my hair?

***

After an amazing breakfast of biscuits with milk gravy and fresh fruit, us ladies were free to explore the royal castle and contact home, if we wished. We could also stay in our rooms and prepare for our personal meeting with Princess Amber, if we so pleased.

I, of course, needed to call Cyrus to fill him in on everything that had happened in only the past day.

"--you would totally find him cute, and-"

"-wait, wait, so she's a Princess???-"

"Cyrus, are you even listening?!"

"--okay, but, like, a Princess???"

Cyrus and I chatted about everything that had happened for the next hour, from meeting the royalty to the Buffy girl to the Princess' cousin that Cyrus would be all over. He agreed that he sounded super cute, but needed to see for himself to believe it. Luckily, Cyrus had quite the surprise in store for me: he had signed up to be a royal guard, and his application was actually up for consideration! It wasn't a guarantee, far from it, but if he was picked...then Cyrus would live and work here at the castle. I didn't want to get my hopes up too high, so I simply wished him all the best and told him I needed to go. I couldn't be late for this, too!

***

It was 10:13 (I know, I know...) and I was juuuust getting the jewel-encrusted clip placed into my hair. The gem--I had no clue what it was--was a deep blue-green, the color of the sea. It reminded me a lot of Princess Amber's eyes, actually. Funny.

I practically ran from my room where I had been getting ready, and past the French doors leading outside to the royal garden. I wouldn't have stopped, but it looked so pretty. I just needed to look out the window or something...

"Stop, at once!" a guard hissed at me, his look glowering. I felt panic rise in my chest. "I'm not doing anything wrong!" I protested, feeling my breaths grow short and static. "I just wanted to look outside, and--"

"Step away from the doors, or I'm going to have to use physical force. That area is off-limits!"

I started to back away from the area, my hands a bit shaky from fear.

"Cameron, let her go outside and see the royal garden immediately." I heard a calm, but demanding voice float in my direction. Amber. The guard cowered. "Your Highness, but the rule is-"

"The rule is that I'm the Princess--in line to be Queen--and you will do as I say. Understand that?"

"Ahem, yes, clearly, Your Highness. I apologize profusely, Your Highness."

The guard stepped forward, but only to open the wide doors for me. I was hit with a blast of fresh spring air that smelled of roses and lilies. Just from where I stood, the place looked like Heaven on earth. Princess Amber strode over to where I was, and reached for hold of my hand. I let her, almost dissolving at the gentle touch.

"Would you care for a private tour?"