Bandi: Just Friends (Part 1)

You've probably read those cliche love stories, where someone falls in love with their best friend, believing nothing will ever happen between them. Then, the two are having a totally casual hangout that makes the other best friend realize their feelings and suddenly the two are in love and wedding bells start ringing. Okay, so, this is the exact opposite of that story.

I'm sitting at a booth at The Spoon, across from TJ and Cyrus. Naturally, TJ and Cyrus are making out and living in their own little Tyrus bubble--completely unaware of my tenseness and scrunched-up face. Don't get me wrong; I'm so happy for my best friend, Cyrus! But just a few booths away, I see my other best friend...the one that I'm not exactly happy for. She's snuggled up next to some girl with short, red hair and narrowed eyes that seem to be drilling a hole into my skull. I see her grip on Andi tighten a little bit, and my nails dig into my hands as I clench my fists.

Andi, Cyrus, and I have been best friends since...forever, really. We've known each other since kindergarten and have been absolutely inseparable ever since. Andi's never really openly mentioned her sexuality beyond "girls are freaking amazing, and guys are okay too I guess"

I, on the other hand, came out as asexual and lesbian rather recently--after a lot of encouragement from Cyrus, Andi, and TJ. A few girls on my basketball team have actually flirted with me and one of the girls--Lux--actually asked me on a date. I politely declined, but a part of me wonders if I should have just taken the offer.

I just can't seem to get my mind away from Andi. It's horrible, I know! An unrequited crush on your best friend only ever seems to work out well in the cheesy Hallmark movies. This is reality, I remind myself.

Andi makes eye contact with me for a brief moment, smiling and darting her eyes to the girl she's next to. I know she wants me to be excited for her, so I give her a thumbs-up and plaster a smile on my face. Andi frowns at that; of course, she can see right through me. Cyrus and TJ have stopped eating each other's faces off just long enough to watch the whole ordeal go down.

"Buffy, just tell her how you feel," Cyrus begins. "She's your best friend. She might have been totally in love with you this whole time, and you would never know because you were too afraid to say anything."

"The great Buffy Driscoll, afraid of something?" TJ asks teasingly, a smirk spread across his face. "That's rich. I never thought you'd be afraid of telling someone what's on your mind."

I glared at TJ and gave Cyrus that look that said 'put your boyfriend in his place' and Cyrus grabbed TJ's hand to signal him to stop pestering me.

"Andi isn't like a member on my basketball team, or a teacher that I really like learning from. She's Andi Mack, you know? We've shared everything there is to share, from secrets to tears to first kisses. How could I possibly be brave around her?

Before your mind can go anywhere else, yes, Andi was my first kiss and I was hers. It was the summer before high school started, and she wanted to start the new chapter of her life free from the pressure of high school relationships. She explained to me that if we could just get our first kisses over with, we'd feel much more liberated and confident once we were in high school. I, of course, had no opposition to that offer. I remember how soft her lips were-- and the subtle flavor of coconut chapstick meshed so perfectly with my demanding cinnamon gloss. She even remarked how much she enjoyed the taste of my lips-- that the cinnamon flavor was so "in character" of me; spicy, confident, and unique. Anyway...the kiss meant nothing; it was strictly business.

Except I've thought about the kiss every single day since then.

"Hey, your future wife is heading over," TJ half-whispered to me, earning an eye roll from Cyrus and snapping me out of my daze. "Teej, we're going to leave now since you clearly can't control yourself!"

"Aww, baby, I'm just trying to make you laugh," TJ replied smoothly, sweeping Cyrus up in a long kiss. Ugh, these two made my head spin. Cyrus, blushing hard as ever, stood up and took TJ's hand to drag him away after waving 'goodbye' to me and Andi. Andi, who was now standing in front of me.

"Buffy, how wild is it that you came to The Spoon the same day I had my date with Libby!" Andi sat down across from me and clasped her hands over mine, squeezing them in hers and effectively sending my soul into outer space. I nodded slowly and gave her a watery smile. "Right, Libby, that's her name. She's the new deaf student at school, right?"

Andi nodded happily but sighed. "I mean, we had fun, but the only person she could seem to talk about was Iris...you know, the girl with the dark hair that--"

"--Cyrus kissed, before they both realized they're gay?" I finished, sending Andi into a fit of laughter.

"Yes, her! I think Libby really likes her."

Although I know I should be feeling awful for my best friend, I couldn't control the small spark of hope that coursed through my veins.

"I'm so sorry, Mackers," I gave Andi a reassuring smile, but Andi just shook her head in response.

"No, don't be! I actually don't really care, because, um...Well, I guess I have my sights set on somebody else, too. I think I have for a long time, actually."

My whole body perked up at this...this was definitely news to me.

"Who could be so lucky to have won the heart of the amazing Andi Mack?"

"I'm not exactly ready to tell..." Andi explained, fidgeting a little bit. That stung a little bit, I had to admit. "Not even...me?"

"How about we just forget this conversation happened?" Andi asked cheerfully, clearly wanting to change the subject. "How about I come over and we can play Just Dance while eating junk food?"

I do my best to accept what just happened. My best friend won't even tell me who she likes. So much for happily ever after, huh?

"Sounds great, Andi."

(TO BE CONTINUED...)