045

I woke up around nine Christmas morning to an empty bed. I laid there for a while, much too cozy to get up, before my phone rang and I was forced to emerge from my blanket cocoon. The caller ID showed Emmett and I sighed, knowing I couldn't ignore it like I had ignored Edward's yesterday.

"Merry Christmas," I greeted, stifling a yawn.

"Merry Christmas, Ro-bear!" Emmett greeted loudly and much too exuberantly for nine in the morning- but, I reminded myself, it was still evening for him. "Rose is with me too, by the way. You're on speaker."

"Alright. How are you guys?"

"Good! We miss you, though, we wish you would have stayed for Christmas," Emmett said.

"But we understand why you didn't," Rose jumped in. "Do you have any special plans for today?"

"Special plans? Not any that I know of. But with my mates, I can never say for certain. That have a tendency to go a little overboard," I said fondly.

"No surprise there. We just wanted to wish you a merry Christmas, but I'm sure you need to eat and spend time with your mates and the guard," Rose said.

"Thanks for calling. I appreciate it," I said.

"Expect everyone else to call at some point. Also, would you please answer Edward's calls, he's been bitching about it all day. I know you're still pissed at him- I am too, so believe me when I say that I get it- but I can't take it anymore," Emmett complained.

I shook my head amusedly. "Alright. I can't ignore him forever, I guess. At least you guys aren't the mind readers so you don't have to listen to his 'woe is me' thoughts."

"True enough!" Emmett said with a shout of laughter.

"We'll let you go now, Rowan, but call us again when you get the chance. I want to hear all about your first Christmas in Volterra!" Rose ordered.

"Alright, Mom, alright. I won't forget," I promised. "Talk to you guys later. Make fun of Edward for me."

"We always do," Rose said, a smile in her voice. "Love you, Rowan."

"Love ya, pipsqueak!" Emmett said.

"Love you guys, too. Merry Christmas!" I said before hanging up the phone and slipping it into the back pocket of my jeans. Once I had finished getting ready for the day, I emerged from my bedroom into the main room, where my mates were conspicuously absent. Alec was seated in my recliner reading a book, though he looked up when I stepped out.

"Good morning, Queen Rowan," he greeted. "I hope you slept well. Merry Christmas."

"Merry Christmas to you as well, Alec. Where are the kings?" I asked.

"Around," he said vaguely. "Shall I call for your breakfast?"

"Sure," I acquiesced, confused. "Are they in trial?"

"No," he said, snapping his book shut and setting it aside. "Wait here."

"Okay." I stared after him, my brows furrowed. He returned shortly after with a plate of pancakes, scrambled eggs, and bacon.

"Your breakfast, as requested," he said. I poured myself a cup of milk before taking a seat at my table.

"Thanks, Alec. I don't understand why-"

"The masters aren't here? I'm afraid I can't tell you," he said apologetically. "Not that I know, regardless. Master Aro approached very early this morning and requested I act as your guard until they returned."