010

November 1990
Three Years Old

"How was preschool, sweetheart?" A beautiful woman with warm eyes and rich chestnut hair by the name of Amelia Ailes asked, glancing at her daughter through the rearview mirror.

"Good!" Three-year-old Rowan looked up from where she played with her teddy bear, strapped snugly into her car seat. "I colored and had a snack and told Miss Taylor the ABCs! But I couldn't remember what came after 'P' so she had to help me."

"Very good, sweetie! Did you play with Owen?"

"Yeah, I let him share my crayons and when we played pretend we got married! And Ben made us say our promises since his daddy is a pastor and then Hannah threw flowers at us!" she said excitedly, blue eyes sparkling.

Rowan's mother smiled too, amused. "That sounds like fun, sweetie. Do you like Owen?"

"He's my bestest friend in the world! But I don't think I'd marry him in real life," she stated factually, wrinkling her nose. "Because Daddy says that Owen has cooties."

"I'm sure he'll be happy to hear that," her mom said, pressing the gas as the light turned green. "Do you want to-"

But Rowan never got to find out what she may want to do. Because a car ran the light and smashed into their minivan, and the world spun into chaos.

February 1991
Three Years Old

"She hasn't said a word since the accident." Curtis Ailes ran a frustrated hand through his hair, eyes trained on Rowan who played silently with a doll.

"She's been through an ordeal. It's common among young children as a way for them to process. It just takes time," Rowan's therapist, Dr. Young, said.

"Yes, but how much time? How long are we talking? Weeks, months, what?"

"It's impossible to say, it varies from child to child. Just give her time, be there for her. It will get easier. She'll start talking again," Dr. Young said. "You just have to be patient with her."

June 1992
Four Years Old

"You said it would take time. You didn't say how much," Curtis Ailes said, clearly irate as he glared at Dr. Young. Rowan was close by, looking at a picture book.

"Yes, but she's progressing. She's began speaking again, simple words and phrases," Dr. Young soothed.

"She's supposed to be starting kindergarten in the fall! It's not enough! Is this even trauma anymore, or is there something else wrong with her?"

"Mr. Ailes, Rowan witnessed her mother bleed out in front of her. She's four years old. You can't possibly expect her to get over such an experience overnight. To tell you the truth, it's fortunate that she likely won't remember it when she's older," the therapist said. "And I'm not sure I can recommend her starting kindergarten yet. She's still having difficulty, and with her being silent for so long her grammar and vocabulary likely won't be up to par with others who are her age."

Rowan's father crossed his arms. "What are you saying?"

"I'm suggesting you hold her back another year. Re-enroll her in preschool. It's a less stressful environment where she'll be able to talk as she likes. I fear that kindergarten would be too much for her in such a fragile state."

"Maybe you're right." Curtis Ailes glanced at his daughter and shook his head despairingly. "I just don't know what to do with her anymore."

Dr. Young sighed, looking at his young patient through compassionate eyes. "She's progressing. I know it's hard. But like I keep saying, you just have to be patient."