Chapter 14. Longing for you Part 2

Zane's P.O.V

I didn't see Theo for the rest of the day again but he was clearly back at the office. We both ignored each other when we accidentally bumped into each other while leaving the law firm. I was on my way to have dinner with a client together with Robert at that moment and didn't pay attention to where I was going. My best friend looked questioningly at me when he saw me walk passed Theo without even apologizing to him. I just mind linked Robert to say "We'll talk about this later" and then walked with him to the parking lot of the law firm to get my car.

Robert didn't ask me about anything after that because he knew that I would tell him everything when I felt ready. We soon reached the Italian restaurant where my client and I had agreed to meet each other for dinner. I was surprised to see Leandro Aims sitting at the table with my client. Leandro used to be my best friend before I moved to Texas with my family. I was actually devastated when I heard from my parents that we were moving to Texas due to their work. Leandro and I used to do everything together so I wasn't eager to leave him behind. I actually begged my parents to bring Leandro along with us but they said no. I kept crying while hugging Leandro before leaving and our parents had then no other choice than to pull us apart like two lovers. We started kicking and screaming when we didn't get our way and my father threw me into our van when he got tired of my behavior.

I promised Leandro while leaving that I would stay in contact with him but the funny thing is that I forgot all about him once Robert started stalking me. Leandro was accompanying his boss Mr. William on this day and I could sense how happy he was to see me. I decided to keep things professional between us when I saw Leandro's boss looking puzzled at me. I smiled at Mr. William and then greeted him with "Good evening Mr. William". Mr. William was an elderly man, who owned several car dealerships around the country. He also liked to finance huge events and that was actually the reason why he came to me. Mr. William felt that he was betrayed by the event managers when one of the events that he had financed, was canceled due to unforeseen circumstances. The organizers of this certain event never explained to him why the event was canceled and he approached me because he wanted his money back. It took me at least three months to build a strong case against this well-known company and the whole ordeal was finally over.

The company couldn't help but agree with the terms that I had presented to them when I showed them how they had been fooling people throughout the years. Matters regarding this case was handled out of court and we were here at the restaurant today to celebrate our win. I had actually never celebrated my victories before because I felt that it was unnecessary. There were always people who felt betrayed or hurt by the system during a case and I knew fully well that one couldn't just throw these feelings away after winning or losing a case. I always advised my clients to seek professional help so they could get back on their feet after a case was over because I knew how straining the whole process was. I only agreed to have dinner with Mr. William out of respect for him and nothing else.

Mr. William happily introduced Leandro to me after greeting me back and I then uttered while shaking my former best friend's hand "It's great to see you again Leandro". Mr. William looked startled at me and then asked me "You two know each other Zane?" I nodded at Mr. William and then replied to him with "We used to know each other when we were children Mr. William. We haven't seen each other in ages so we are practically strangers now". Mr. William burst out laughing suddenly and then uttered "I know what you mean Zane. My wife and I have been together for almost forty five years now and I still ask myself from time to time if I truly know that crazy woman".

Leandro chuckled while putting his hand on Mr. William's back and then said "Be careful about what you say about my mother, dear father because you don't want her to suffocate you in your sleep, right". My heart skipped a beat when I heard what Leandro had said and I was just about to ask him where his biological parents were when I heard Mr. William say "Oh, I guess I forgot to mention this to you before Zane but Leandro is my adopted son. I adopted him after his parents were killed by a drunk driver. He is my only child so I'd like to leave everything to him after my death". I nodded while looking at Leandro and then replied to Mr. William with "I will arrange everything once Leandro comes to my office with the legal documents Mr. William".