Grandiflora

"All rise!" the usher called. All eyes rested on the Kaiser who stood at the top of the stairs in solemn glory.

"Our good countrymen and, we hope, friends, we come to you on a most auspicious occasion. We are honored to be present at the commencement of the wedded life of our friend's son. That he choose a good, solemn wife of chaste life and good virtue and character is our most solemn wish. We thank you for extending your hand of friendship to us. Please, we would like to speak with each of the girls who are the candidates for this man's wife. Again, we thank you for your hospitality and adjure you to continue as you were with the festivities."

He began to descend the stairs, finished speaking. Behind him trailed the royal family. He made his way across the room to the dais on which was the seat of honor. Before him, the men and women dropped into bows and curtsies. Now and then, he rested a hand on a head. His fingers busily moved along his rosary. He seated himself and for a long moment, there was stillness. He smiled and lifted a hand to the orchestra, who began to play again. Another dance began.

To Adelaide's immense relief, Matilda and Everard did not join the dance. Instead, they began to make their way to the Kaiser, who was already being surrounded by nobility. The great man waved them away with a gentle smile.

Metze elbowed Adelaide. "We'd best go down. No doubt the Kaiser will want to meet you."

Adelaide's stomach jumped up into her chest and traded places with her heart. The blood sucked out of her face and she began to sweat. Slowly, she followed Metze down the stairs yet again. They pushed their way through the crowd of people and soon found themselves in front of the dais. Both swept into deep curtsies, eyes downcast.

Herzog Brunheim appeared beside him with Ava and Matilda on each arm. All three sank before the Kaiser. The Kaiser gave a cheerful smile.

"Ah! Our dear friend! How are you and yours?"

"We are doing quite splendidly, your Highness. I thank you for your interest."

"These are your daughters?"

"Yes, Kaiser. This is my eldest, Ava, and her sister Matilda."

"Bless you, my children."

The two girls dropped another deep curtsy.

"And you are competing for Everard's hand?"

"Aye, they are," the Herzog answered with a smile. "Never a bit of jealousy between them. It would be a good match for either."

"And for the good man himself. A fine wife either of you would make him. You are both beautiful and virtuous."

"Thank you, your Grace," the two chorused.

"And Mechthild! We hope you are not competing for Everard's hand as well."

Metze giggled and shook her head, dropping a small curtsy. "No, your Grace."

"As beautiful as ever. You should be dancing instead of talking to an old man like us."

"Old! Your Grace, you are far from it!"

"You flatter us. Nevertheless, do go enjoy the ball. It would bring us much pleasure. Your girls should go enjoy the festivities as well, Herzog."

Herzog Brunheim bowed his head. "As your Grace wishes. Go on, girls."

The two dropped a curtsy and backed away, mingling again with the nobility. Katharin appeared beside Adelaide and curtsied. She sent Adelaide a small smile, though her face was pale and her hands shook. Adelaide smiled back as encouragingly as she could.

"And what are your names, ladies?"

"I am Pfalzgrafin Adelaide Lundhoffe," Adelaide curtsied again.

"I am Markgrafin Katharin Site," Katharin copied Adelaide.

"And you are the two other girls competing for Everard?"

"Yes, Your Grace," Adelaide answered for both of them. Katharin shot her a grateful glance.

"We offer our condolences on your father's ill health, Pfalzgrafin. We hope he recovers quickly."

So he was alive. Yet another reason she was forced to return to Lundhoffe. If she was chosen, he most certainly would be killed.

"Thank you, your Grace."

"And how do your parents fare, Markgrafin?"

Katharin blushed. "They fare well. Mother is due to be delivered soon and has gone into the birthing room. Father cannot seem to stay in one place. He can hardly wait to have a son."

"And may you soon have a little brother to grace the home."

"Thank you, Kaiser."

"We want the young people to enjoy themselves. Please, go join in the festivities."

"Thank you, Kaiser." Adelaide curtsied one last time and backed away. Katharin echoed her and followed.

"Thank you, Adelaide. I've never seen this many people and I certainly never thought I would meet the Kaiser himself. It's made me nervous."

"Have you never been to a ball before?"

"Never. My parents refused to let me go to one before because I wasn't of age and they preferred I devoted myself to study."

"Do you like it?"

"There's too many people. I can barely breathe." Katharin gave a little shiver.

"We'll be eating soon, then you can probably leave after Everard announces his decision. Unless he picks you, of course. Then you have to stay."

Katharin pressed her lips together. "I certainly hope he doesn't pick me."

"Why not?" Adelaide's eyes flew open wide.

"Because I do not want to have to bear children and be a wife as would be expected of me. I wish to continue my studies and I have no desire for marital life."

"Perhaps Everard would be kind enough to let you keep studying."

"I'd rather not take that chance. Besides, I've been learning swordsmanship lately and I doubt he would approve of me sneaking off to practice."

"Swordsmanship?"

Katharin nodded, sending a shy glance around, as if fearful someone would tell on her. "Don't tell anyone. I just couldn't resist. I think it's more beautiful than dancing."

Adelaide smiled as Katharin's eyes took on a dreamy look. Katharin smiled and looked at Adelaide.

"Sorry."

"No, no. You're fine."