Wisteria

Adelaide followed Ursilda down to the dining hall. There were five ladies sitting at the table at the front of the room. A rather old man sat at one end and a young one at the other end. A massive table in the middle of the room sat many knights and a few ladies. Ursilda led Adelaide to the smaller table. She walked right up to the older man. Pfalzgrafin Lundhoffe, my Herzog.

"Ah! A pleasure, Pfalzgrafin."

"The pleasure is mine, my Herzog." she curtsied, self conscious of how unpracticed she was.

"Yes, yes. I do believe the Herzogin Kafistania has saved you a seat beside her. My wife, you know. The lady there."

"Thank you, Herzog." Adelaide curtsied again and approached the woman that Herzog Kafistania had pointed out.

"Oh, you must be Pfalzgrafin Lundhoffe. Your place is just here today." the lady patted the spot beside her with a big smile. She was not a beautiful woman, but she exuded friendliness.

"Thank you, Herzog."

"Ach, please, just Emeludt."

"Emeludt. A beautiful name."

"It was my mother's before me."

"Who're you?" the girl on Adelaide's right asked.

"I'm Adelaide."

"Where you from?"

"Lundhoffe."

"Oh, I thought so. The accent, you know. I'm Katherin. From Site."

"I'm Metze." the girl across the table from Adelaide said. "Well, actually Mechthild, but nobody calls me that. I'm Herzog Kafistania's daughter. My brother, Everard, is the one at the other end of the table. The one that's talking to him right now is Matilda and the other girl is Ava. They're twins from Site. Isn't that exciting?"

Adelaide laughed. "Very. I've never met twins before."

"Me neither. They look so similar but they're very different. Ava is very quiet and ladylike, but Matilda acts almost like a boy. They're both very nice, though." Katherin said with a laugh.

Breakfast was served. Adelaide enjoyed talking to Herzogin Kafistania, Katherin, and Metze. Every now and then, Herzog Kafistania joined in the conversation. They finished eating quickly. The knights disappeared and Herzog and Herzogin Kafistania followed.

The young people were the last to leave. Matilda, Ava, and Everard approached the other three girls.

"Everard, you were very rude not to welcome the Pfalzgrafin." Metze tossed her head.

Everard winked at Adelaide at went down on his knees in front of Metze. "I apologize profusely. Please forgive your humble slave, for I have sinned."

"Apologize to her, you goose."

He moaned and bowed even lower in front of Adelaide. "Please forgive me Pfalzgrafin. I have been extremely rude. I deserve to be punished in the worst way possible."

"And what do you suggest?" Metze said.

"I should be fed cake until I can eat no more."

"You are forgiven. I think you've been punished enough. I saw how much you ate." Adelaide laughed. "I don't believe in extreme punishment."

"Oh thank you, my kind benefactress. It would have been pure torture," Everard got up. "I'm Everard."

"Adelaide."

"This is Matilda, and this is Ava," He gestured to the other two girls. Ava curtsied and Matilda stuck out her hand. Adelaide laughed, curtsied and shook Matilda's hand.