Thistle

A shadow blocked the ray of light. Adelaide sat up and walked over to it. A grimy little peasant boy stood there. "Papa says to ax if'n you is the Pf—Pf—I dunno how to say it."

"Pfalzgrafin?"

"Yeah, that's it. Is that what you is?"

"Yes."

"Okay." he disappeared. In a few minutes, he was there again. "Papa says we gonna overthrow him soon. Maybe in a year! What's overthrow?"

"Oh. That's when people try to capture someone who's in charge."

"Oh. Then they kill him?"

"Sometimes."

"That'll be fun." he disappeared again.

There was someone in the hall. Several somebodies. And one was talking. "They are to be executed. Preferably in the morning."

"But, sir!"

"Herzog's orders. I'm sorry to lose two of my best soldiers, but orders are orders. I'll try to talk him out of it when he's less angry with me."

"Yes, sir."

A soldier appeared at the door. Keys rattled in the lock. Two soldiers came in. They grabbed Adelaide's wrists and handcuffed them. They marched her out and into the hall. Unwin stood there, his face was red and his fists were clenched. He drew back one, aiming for Adelaide's face. Adelaide closed her eyes and turned her face away. The blow never connected. Adelaide opened her eyes. His hands were at his side. He was shaking his head.

"I can't hit a girl."

The soldiers returned her to the cell.

Keys rattled in the lock. Adelaide wondered how long she'd been there. The soldiers manacled her hands. They led her into the hall.

She threw her head back as they entered the throne room.

"On your knees, wench," The guard said.

"She doesn't have to," Herzog Reikhoff said.

"I want to," she lifted her chin and knelt.

He sighed. "A messenger delivered a message to me—about you. From the king."

"Says to kill me, I hope."

He stared. "No."

"It was a joke. Bad one, but still a joke."

He stared. "It said that—umm," he consulted the paper in his hand. "'Pfalzgrafin Adelaide of Lundhoffe is to be sent to the neighboring province of Kafistania for a week's time, beginning the week after you receive this missive. Herzog Kafistania is now searching for a suitable bride for his son, the Pfalzgraf Kafistania and the Pfalzgrafin is one of the few girls eligible.'"

"Well, that's a new trick."

"Trick?"

"What do you want from me now?"

"I don't know what you mean. I've been ordered to send you away for a week."

Unwin's face darkened.

"I'm in earnest."

Adelaide raised an eyebrow.

"You leave in the morning, but today you must pack a chest and you may sleep in your own room."

Unwin made a strangled sound.

"I'll put guards outside your door to satisfy him."

"I think I prefer to stay."

His jaw dropped open. "Well, I can't really give you much of a choice."

Adelaide shrugged. She followed the guards out and up the stairs to her old room. She showed no emotion, but her stomach churned and her heart beat quickly. A soldier grasped the door knob and yanked. He put a foot against the doorframe and pulled harder. The door opened and he fell. The other soldiers laughed. Adelaide stepped inside. The door closed. She was alone. Nothing had changed. There was the miniature of her mother still on the desk. Her books were still all on the shelf. The bed was neatly made with her mother's quilt. Adelaide opened the closet. There were her dresses. Below them was her mother's traveling chest. Everything was layered in dust. A lump rose in Adelaide's throat. She had forgotten all of this. It had been easier to just forget. Duke Reikhoff had taken everything from her. Her whole life. Nothing had been the same. Nothing would ever be the same. Adelaide sank to her knees and cried. They were bitter bitter tears. She rested her head on the chest. Her jaw clenched and she sobbed, making her face feel tight. Her chest hurt.