Chapter One Hundred & Thirty-Four | Fourth World

Ξεκινήστε από την αρχή

The grip which would undoubtedly leave marks, was unrelenting for a short while until they reached a location where Falcon had no reservations about tossing Finch off of his shoulder and onto the ground. He landed in a build-up of moss and was surprised when it felt like a giant sponge. But his posterior was still throbbing.

Instead of hitting him or just storming off, Falcon folded his arms over his chest and looked directly at him while frowning. "Is there anything else you want to say to me?"

Finch automatically shook his head, but then paused. He sighed and nodded, "I know I look weak, and you've seen me at my weakest, but I'm honest when I say I can look after myself. I haven't gotten this far by solely relying on people."

"I don't think you're weak. Persistent and annoying, yes. But not weak."

"Then let me do what I do best. Like those ideas I gave to you and Fyre to use for traps, let me make sure they're going to work effectively. Let me help those who are wounded as soon as it happens. And let me use the damn skill I have suffered through Thorn to learn. I can't and won't sit idly by when there is a chance I can help."

Falcon lost the intensity to his gaze. Unlike with many, who he could just glare or nod at when dealing with an unwanted conversation, this wasn't going to be one of those times. Whether he permitted it or not, Finch was going to take part in the battle when Hawk eventually arrives. It's just that the older of the two couldn't decide whether he should admire the younger man or not. Before meeting Finch, he had never had to question himself— or his decisions.

Now he couldn't help but think that potentially using Finch would be beneficial. Even if he was used as bait, Falcon doubted Finch would be angry. That pure determination to help, to be useful, was what once filled Falcon's entire being. It's what made him what he was.

But he still had his doubts. The older of the two gradually lost his defensive posture and surprisingly took a seat not too far from where Finch was.

"We still don't know enough about Zephyr's intentions. Pitching me and Hawk against each other, then landing you right in the middle of it. It can't be a coincidence. What if you taking part is exactly what he wants?"

Although Zephyr denied a lot of what Finch had accused, he couldn't say he knew the answer. Zephyr appeared genuine when he stated he wanted to protect Finch, but then Finch had done nothing but struggle up until recently. Although he wanted to believe the deity, there were still many things he wasn't being truthful about. And without knowing everything, Fahren would always doubt a character's intentions.

Fahren had been told in his old life that he should embrace more relationships. Even though he didn't lack bed-partners, they weren't the relationships his mother had been referring to. Fahren naturally took a defensive stance; it was easier to keep people at a distance so that when they come to disappoint him as they always did, he wouldn't be hurt. It was that close circle, one which was once very quiet— yet safe.

And now he had questions in his mind like: should I trust a god? Should I extent an olive branch to the man who tried to kill his brother on numerous occasions?

Finch turned a little towards the man. "Does it matter anymore?" He asked and Falcon lifted his head. A confused expression on his face.

"We all admit we don't know Zephyr's motives," Finch shrugged, "We're mortals, perhaps we're not meant to understand them. All we should focus on is ourselves and what our actions are going to be when the time comes. We have survived this far and I refuse to admit that it's due to the deity's will. I've put too much blood, sweat and tears into getting this far to let some omnipotent dude take all the credit. No matter how good-looking he is." Finch admittedly said the last part a fraction quicker than the rest.

He cleared his throat and nodded his head. "As long as we believe we are doing right, then how can we go wrong? Everything we're doing is for the safety of others, there's nothing sinister about that. And if we die, then we'll go down cursing and if I come across Zephyr on the way to wherever I'm destined to go, I'll kick him in the balls."

Falcon hadn't expected to receive a lecture. After it soaked in, he actually scoffed and shook his head while trying to mask a grin. "You're so strange, and I can't believe it's because of that that you have managed to convince me." He shook his head, looking honestly disappointed in himself. "But before I agree or say anything of the sort, I need to remind you how my brother works. The way he has managed to manipulate everything from when we were only children. Just as you are a good talker, I hate to admit that he's just as good. If you come across him—"

"You think I'll be charmed?"

"Or taken by force, yes."

"I'll try my very best not to be kidnapped in the way you demonstrated just now."

Falcon gave him a less than impressed response and Finch could only sigh. He looked away and down to his feet, shuffling them for a moment before confessing, "Hawk can't charm me. Not when I have no intention of leaving your side. Not now, not ever."

Finch stared intensively at the ground until he couldn't stand it anymore and looked towards the man who hadn't uttered a word. He was met with a look which was neither intense nor soft. It was trying to figure him out, to figure out his meaning. And Finch was unsure if he wanted the man to understand at all.

As Finch's cheeks began to heat up, feeling a strange sense of nervousness, Falcon had already reached his own conclusion. Eventually it was the older of the two awkwardly silent men that spoke first, "I'll tell Fyre about your decision." He climbed to his feet and just before he left he looked back at Finch once again, "Although I'm agreeing, you're not going to be given the opportunity to be alone. So don't try to be a hero."

The young man shook his head. "No chance of that, I'm too selfish." He grinned slightly.

Falcon rolled his eyes and said his goodbyes. He walked away, not looking back until the silver haired man's pace slowed down to a stop. He was just out of range of Finch, so when he cursed himself for feeling the need, he looked back in the direction he came from. Through the trees he could make out the young man's figure.

He hadn't jumped to his feet to flee, instead Finch had done the opposite and slumped even further into the comfort of the moss. He dangled his head back and ran his hands over his face, looking embarrassed. The sight was enough to make Falcon's chest tighten. He couldn't suppress the smile that tugged at his mouth.

He cast his mind back to the sweet words the youth had spoken to him. Strangely, it was pleasing to hear. More so he'd like to admit. Just as it usually was, Falcon found himself gently shaking his head as he recalled the conversation he had just had.

It was a moments reprieve from the dark thoughts that he found often clouding his mind. Ones that were put there due to the horrifically gruesome dreams he was currently suffering from on a nightly basis.

[ TBC ]

[ A/N: We're getting juicy juicy on Patreon~ If you're interested in reading ahead, then feel free to >> www.patreon.com/Bethworthington ]