4.19

"Shadow Play"

[A/N: QUICKLY POPPING IN TO SAY SPENCER'S DREAM IS NOT REAL, JUST HER IMPRESSION OF THE WORLD AROUND HER IN A NOIR TRIBUTE

[A/N: QUICKLY POPPING IN TO SAY SPENCER'S DREAM IS NOT REAL, JUST HER IMPRESSION OF THE WORLD AROUND HER IN A NOIR TRIBUTE. CHARACTERS WILL NOT SOUND THE SAME OR INTERACT THE WAY WE KNOW.
TRIGGER WARNING: EATING DISORDERS AND BINGE EATING, MILD HOMOPHOBIA.
THIS IS PROBABLY MY LONGEST CHAPTER TO DATE, I HOPE YOU GUYS ENJOY]

The chairs were stacked upon the desks due to the fact it was a Saturday morning. Mr Fitz's classroom was empty, as was the majority of the school. Four of the five friends snuck inside the english room, shifty eyes scanning the dead hallway for passing, curious life.

Halle had snuck them in altogether. Today was the dress rehearsal before opening night for the musical and while Hanna and Emily had more than a substantial excuse to be at school, Spencer didn't. So, Halle lied; told Mr Browne so she couldn't breathe in her 'Roxie'-solo unitard and had to pull Hanna away for private alterations. Emily came as a plus one for management then Halle opened the side door in her white robe to let Spencer in.

"How many murderesses are in the Cell block tango again?" Hanna asked when they entered. She had strutted inside first, a glaring sight in her neon pink and black lace dress.

Spencer made sure to shut the door. "Six," she said. "The song's long, they'll never miss us."

"We still got time, Han," Halle reassured her, as she tightened the tie around her towelled robe so it was secure.

Dropping her mobile from her ear, where it had been practically glued since they left they auditorium, Emily stated to the incomplete group, "Aria still isn't answering."

"She's still coming tonight, right?" Spencer double-checked with Halle.

As a response, Halle shrugged and replied, "That's what she said."

"Well, what are you gonna say when you get her anyway?" Hanna remarked in dry wit, "Isn't it funny how your old boyfriend turned out to be a stalking whack job?"

Halle tilted her head to the side, considering, and said, "Could be a little more subtle, but I'm good with that."

Emily argued indignantly, "Well, I'd like to know a lot more before we talk to her."

"That's why we're here, ain't it?" Halle said, hands out to motion at the bare, untouched classroom.

"Take this side of the desk," Spencer instructed of Emily. She looked to Hanna. "You take that file cabinet—" then to Halle, "you take that one," she said, pointing to the far corner built-in.

"What are we looking for?" Hanna asked while Emily and Halle had immediately leapt into their mission of find.

"Evidence," claimed Spencer. She bent down in sync with Emily, on opposite sides of the desk, as the pair both checked the drawers either side of the teacher's desk. Rifling through the top drawer, Spencer continued, "We're gonna need a lot more if we're gonna prove to Aria that Ezra's..." she paused, nervous in her clear discomfort, "not who he says he is."