4.18

"Hot For Teacher"

The Brew had been a place of sanctuary — even more so than any of their homes

The Brew had been a place of sanctuary — even more so than any of their homes. The five friends were emotionally drained, sucked of life from yet another couple punches from A. Their enemy landed each and every one, gutting them. Somewhere, between one of Emily's late night hospital visits and the exchange of A's attacks, one of them suggested coffee and, naturally, they collected at their favourite haunt.

"Uh, coffee please," Hanna said to the barista. She checked with her friends. "We're all just having it simple, right?"

"Yeah, don't think I can do soy right now," Aria replied. "I need the hard stuff."

"You add, like, too much creamer and sugar to your coffee anyway," Spencer pointed out.

"Okay, just because your personality is a black coffee drip doesn't mean you get to dog on me," Aria countered.

At that, Halle gave a chuckle and then said to the barista, "Can I get a chamomile tea instead?"

"Yeah, me too, actually," Spencer said, as she pinched the bridge of her nose and squinted. "My head is a wreck right now."

Halle peered at her, questioningly. She held her breath and prayed that Spencer wasn't going to unload the secret they had both learnt the other night — that Fitz was Board Shorts — that he was A. Halle and Spencer weren't ready to make that devastating of a blow to the five — to their lives. It would be brutal. The two of them could damn well tear a rip down the middle of their group; they'd reel in the fiery chaos of it, rolling around as it spit at them.

"Are you okay?" asked Aria in concern.

"Yeah, yeah—" Spencer grimaced, eyes briefly connecting with Halle's for a second, "I think I'm just not getting enough sleep."

"You do look tired," Hanna unhelpfully commented. "You look stressed."

Spencer let out an amused scoff, "Thanks, Han."

While the rest of her friends converse, Emily had been quiet. Soon after they entered and approached the cashier, Emily's gaze was drawn towards the far side of the coffee shop. She could see someone in the phone-box. She angled her head to get a better view, curiosity piquing her interest, to then discover it was Shana.

"Guys..."

Emily alerted them to it — to Shana. They moved. All of them watched as Shana snaked her way out of the phone-booth with a mobile in her hand and a secretive glint to her eyes.