Chapter 10: Recharge and Rearm

S/N's perspective

I groaned a bit as I woke up this morning. Slowly rising into a sitting position as my sore muscles were forced to work. I rubbed my eyes as the events of the previous day played back in my head. No matter how I played it out, I was lucky that I even ended that fight in a draw. Even if I'm not like most frigates, that fight could have quickly gone wrong if any of those plasma weapons had hit their marks. Case in point, the new scar across my cheek, a thin line of pale skin that still felt tender. Sighing softly, my attention perked up as the door opened.

S/N: "Morning Bel-

I was saying before instead of the usual sight of Belfast, it was the Commander that stood in the doorway.

Shikikan: "Not this morning sadly."

He said while beads of sweat dripped down his forehead.

S/N: "You good?"

I asked, Shikikan waving his hand as if it was nothing.

Shikikan: "Oh, just went for a morning jog, that's all."

He said as he walked in and closed the door behind him.

S/N: "So, is there a reason you're here or?"

Shikikan: "Yes, it's about yesterday. I wanted to thank you again for saving my ships."

S/N: "Hey, no need. Just doing my duty."

I said with a small smile and cracked my neck.

Shikikan: "As you said yesterday as well, but how are you feeling?"

S/N: "Sore, but alive........ somehow."

Shikikan: "Well, I can say for a lot of us here. We're glad you're here in one piece."

I nodded and traced a finger over my new scar.

S/N: "Hey, can I ask you a question?"

Shikikan: "Sure, go right ahead."

He asked as I pulled my hand away and looked into my lap.

S/N: "Should I have ended it there?"

Shikikan raised an eyebrow.

Shikikan: "What do you mean?"

S/N: "At the end of our fight, we both had a choice, to both die or well, do what we did........ but what if I can't beat him next time? What if that moment was when I could have saved this world at the cost of my life?"

Shikikan looked at me with a bit of concern as he scratched his chin.

Shikikan: "Those dreams are back, aren't they?"

I simply nodded.

S/N: "Yeah...... but on top of that, I saw this base on fire and......."

I trailed off, the words catching in my throat as I couldn't bare to say it. The Commander just sighed and patted my shoulder.

Shikikan: "I get it. I can't say I've been where you are right now, but I know one thing. Life has a strange way of working out in the end. You just have to have faith."

He said before an unfamiliar voice called out from the hall.

???: "Oh, Shikikan! Where are you!"

Shikikan froze before more sweat started to fall down his face.

S/N: "I can see that your 'jog' was more of an escape attempt?"

Shikikan: "Maybe, anyway, I got to go!"